Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 for my daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery 2 for my daughter?

OK, here's the deal. My daughter wants a Discovery 2 for her first car. She's 16 and got her license TODAY. Normally, 16 year old girls want VW Beetles, BMW 3 series convertibles, or some other "cute" car, but for some reason my daughter wants a Discovery. (BTW... She didn't specify a 2, but I'm not going to buy her one of the older Discoveries).

Soooo... I know a little about British cars. I'm kind of a big wig on a Jaguar forum. I make YouTube videos about all of the car repairs I do and post them on the forum. I don't think I could rebuild a transmission, but I wouldn't be afraid to try if I had some instructions. On the Jag forum, the same questions were asked time after time, so I just started making videos of my repairs.

I'm familiar with the unreliability of British cars, and I'm not afraid to get dirty, so if I buy her a Disco and something goes wrong, I'll probably be able to fix it on my own.

Here's the Disco she wants:

The seller works for a car dealership, that's why the pictures are of it on a lift. I haven't seen it in person yet, but in the pics it's a nice looking car. At first I told her "YOU'RE NOT GETTING A LAND ROVER!" Then she showed me that ad and I was like "well, we'll see..."

The seller is asking $5000, but he's negotiable and he said he needs the money for a down payment on a house, so he might be a motivated seller. The problem is that the truck has 150,000 miles on it. He's owned it for a year and he doesn't know much about its history. It does have a 9000 pound winch and that nifty rack on top, which gives it kind of a badass, don't F with me look. He says it's leaking oil, but not too bad. The mechs at the dealer where he works says it looks like it's leaking a wee bit at the rear main seal, front main seal, and the valve cover gaskets. He says the interior is in amazing condition except for the headliner (of course. Seems like Rover would have figured that one out after all those years), which is sagging "a little". In regards to the oil leak, he says that after 2000 miles he loses about half a quart.

My daughter drives 2.8 miles to school, 2.8 miles home, and then she makes a 70 mile round-trip once a week (to my house). At $4 per gallon, I figure she's going to spend $35 per week on gas when you throw in an evening or two per week out with her friends. She can afford that.

Anyways... Assuming it is exactly as he described, what's this thing worth?

By the way... my daughter is a dainty, slender, cute little girl, and this Disco is like the exact opposite of her. I can kind of understand why she wants it, and I'm glad that she wants something big, substantial, and safe. But it still seems like she'd look more appropriate in a Beetle soft top or some other "girly" car.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 02-08-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Rear main seal leaks aren't fun,looks like a nice truck though. $5000 isn't awful depending on condition.

Old 02-08-2013, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

All technical things aside, here is why you want a Rover for the offspring.
One of our members had this close encounter.

I taught my daughter how to drive in an F250. Bought a D1 and fixed it up Rover for her first car, she has it at college now so I am lucky to get to visit it on the weekends.

Valve cover gaskets are common to loosen, an 8mm 12 point 1/4 inch drive socket applied to snug things up every oil change usually makes great improvement. The White Shepherd oil leak product also works well.

What do you call a Rover that doesn't leak? Empty.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery 2 for my daughter?-disco-crumple-zone.jpg  

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 02-08-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Overlanding

What the heck? No replies yet? I posted it two minutes ago!

JUST KIDDING!!!!! I always laugh on the Jag forum when people post questions and expect an immediate response.

And by the way... not that anyone cares, but here's a link to my YouTube channel: sam1174's channel - YouTube

If you click on an ad in a video I make something like NINE cents! (hint hint).

Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Overlanding

LOL! As I was typing my "no replies yet" reply, I got TWO REPLIES! Amazing.

But it kinda defeats the humor of my reply.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
All technical things aside, here is why you want a Rover for the offspring.
One of our members had this close encounter.

I taught my daughter how to drive in an F250. Bought a D1 and fixed it up Rover for her first car, she has it at college now so I am lucky to get to visit it on the weekends.

Valve cover gaskets are common to loosen, an 8mm 12 point 1/4 inch drive socket applied to snug things up every oil change usually makes great improvement. The White Shepherd oil leak product also works well.

What do you call a Rover that doesn't leak? Empty.
WOW!!!

That pic is amazing. That just added about $50,000 to what I'm willing to pay.

Was there any damage at all to the Rover?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Overlanding

Here are a couple more pics of the Disco II my daughter is interested in. By the way, it's a 2002 model year. I don't think I mentioned that in my original post.

Here's the driver's seat:

Looks almost brand new.

Looks like someone added an aftermarket stereo. I'm not really a fan of add-ons like that.

The back seats look like the rolled off of the assembly line last week. Not bad for an 11 year old car.

Of course, pictures can be deceiving. Whenever I sell a car I try to make the pics almost look BAD, that way when a potential seller shows up they are pleasantly surprised, rather than disappointed. Then they are more likely to buy and less likely to try to talk me down.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

original post - https://landroverforums.com/forum/ro...-driver-46451/

We also had a post from a Discovery member in Vegas that walked away from being T-boned at an interesection by a Camry at better than 50 mph, trying to make the light. Camry driver killed.

D2 without that honkin' roof rack or winch weighs just above 4900 pounds.

Show her how to use the winch and she'll make money pulling friends out of the ditch before their momma finds out.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator

Note - one common problems with Rovers is having a slight leak turn into overheating. The gauge does not help this, it is programmed to point at 50% from 130-240F. A $70 Ultra Gauge can keep an eye on that digitally, and you can program an alarm for it to remind offsring to call dad now, truck is too hot.

Attached Thumbnails Discovery 2 for my daughter?-pittsburgh-20120905-00034.jpg   Discovery 2 for my daughter?-ultra-gauge.jpg  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never changed a main seal, but the rest looks really good. Head gaskets are the main problem with these, so check for signs of that (I'm sure you're aware of them). Also, if she isn't all that attached to the winch/bull bar and roof rack, you can easily sell those for a couple grand.