Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 for my daughter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the good news is these trucks hold up well to rear-ending someone for the occupant. The bad is the parts are so costly to replace on the front end that most get totalled by insurance adjusters.

I suggest you drive it yourself and get it up to speed and then give it a panic brake and see how comfortable you are with it. The brakes aren't "horrible" just a bit spongy and underpowered for the weight at speed. You can also try to upgrade the brake system but that isn't cheap. I suggest you make sure the truck has quality pads and rotors on it as well as a brake flush if and before she takes the reigns.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I think you could handle the D2 OP. Just coach your daughter up on Discovery protocols.

Yea its really important to drive a D2 carefully. Slow braking is a must. She'll enjoy scaring all the jeeps away though. I always flash my lights at jeeps at UNCC like an uppity d-bag. (even though i love jeeps too lol)

Old 02-08-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: Depends on the car. If the oil pressure "sensor" is merely a switch which shows either low pressure or normal pressure, then you're right

Yep, just an old idiot light switch. And not routed to engine management. But the Bosch ECU manual is in my signature, it is not part of the RAVE shop manual set. RAVE means Rover Automated Viewing Environment; aka Rover's A'int Very Economical. Plan on about 15 mpg.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by DiscoRover007
I think you could handle the D2 OP. Just coach your daughter up on Discovery protocols.

Yea its really important to drive a D2 carefully. Slow braking is a must. She'll enjoy scaring all the jeeps away though. I always flash my lights at jeeps at UNCC like an uppity d-bag. (even though i love jeeps too lol)
I'm just up the road in Raleigh. We're practically neighbors!

Old 02-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Overlanding

By the way... why doesn't Charlotte have any "real" universities?

Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Aha! Because Chapel Hill is scared of UNCC! We'll be at the top the food chain in ten years. Lots of big things happening with Charlotte.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Rock Crawling

That is a nice looking Disco. Smart girl, your daughter.

Buzz, that's cool about teaching your girl to drive in a F250.
My girls are 10 and 12 and have been driving 2-3 yrs in my 98 2500 Silverado. The 12 yr old already is saying she wants her own Disco!

OP, if you can maintain Jags, you shouldn't have any problem wiyh a Disco.
Good luck.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought the 92 F250 for $400 at state auction for game warden vehicles. It had lived a life in a nearby state park on a barrier island, frame and hidden spaces full of salt marsh mud and rust. Put in a used AC compressor and coolant sensor (no idle below 2000 rpm). Eventually rattle can camo. 132,000 miles. After her cleaning out a few ditches and running over curbs, she could parallel park it, etc. A lot less wear and tear on the daily drivers. Like a fool, I sold it. Never sell a pickup that is paid for. Even if it only gets 12 mpg downhill.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:11 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I bought the 92 F250 for $400 at state auction for game warden vehicles. It had lived a life in a nearby state park on a barrier island, frame and hidden spaces full of salt marsh mud and rust. Put in a used AC compressor and coolant sensor (no idle below 2000 rpm). Eventually rattle can camo. 132,000 miles. After her cleaning out a few ditches and running over curbs, she could parallel park it, etc. A lot less wear and tear on the daily drivers. Like a fool, I sold it. Never sell a pickup that is paid for. Even if it only gets 12 mpg downhill.
320,000km on my silverado. bought it 7 yrs ago from my binlaw fo 5000.
He didn't want to sell it to me cause he thought it was junk. Just needed some tlc. original paint, no rust. well, very little lol. My kids love that truck. Could never sell it.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
WOW!!!

That pic is amazing. That just added about $50,000 to what I'm willing to pay.

Was there any damage at all to the Rover?
That was my wife's D1, which you said you don't want (not sure why). Yeah, there was some damage (about $1500 estimate) but nothing that didn't make it undriveable. I replaced the bumper and tail light and it's ok. I may replace the rear quarter panel.

That said, I always recommend against any SUV for a kid who just got their license. I don't care how fancy their suspension is, they are more likely to rollover than a car, and only the really new ones are as safe overall anyway. Until a kid can demonstrate they are safe (read defensive) drivers, knowing what's going on all around you and well down the road, I'd never buy one for one of my kids.

Also, I'm assuming all repairs will be done at a shop, so factor that in because there will be some, if not many.