Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery 2 Secondary air pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 12:59 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Discovery 2 Secondary air pump

Hey guys, I just registered but have picked up dozens of helpful tips on here since buying my discovery 2. I’m wondering if there’s a simple way to disable this loud a$$ secondary air pump without going through the lengthy procedure to do it without throwing a code. I don’t care about throwing a code as long as it doesn’t cause actual issues with the engine. The previous owner cut out the cats and made it straight pipes anyway, so it’s always going to have the emissions code. Every light that can be on is illuminated on the dash already, so really not a big deal! It’s a 20 miles or less vehicle for me that we take driving around pastures and such, and I just want the jet engine noise to stop when I start the vehicle! Dedicated fuse I can pull maybe? Disconnect wiring so it doesn’t run? Hoping there’s an easy fix given I don’t care about the codes or check engine.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,154 Likes on 623 Posts

#1. That picture is a whole situation... hahaha

#2. If you really don't care about codes and warning lamps, I think you can just unplug the SAI pump (pass side, behind battery near fusebox next to firewall). Proper way is to remove the system, pipes, cap the pipes on the heads or use non SAI heads, and swap the ECU, then blah blah...

I had a Disco with a dead SAI pump once, and my recollection is that car started and ran just fine, but with check engine light. I remember being really annoyed paying alot of money at the time to fix something that did nothing other than eliminate a warning lamp (and emissions of course). So I would thus speculate, if you just unplug the SAI pump it would do the same thing as if you had a bad SAI pump.

BTW They're not that loud when they are fully functional btw... always a bit louder on the 4.6 (2003-2004 like yours), but I've always thought it was a bit of a cool Disco noise to hear.

Old 06-27-2023, 07:50 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
#1. That picture is a whole situation... hahaha

#2. If you really don't care about codes and warning lamps, I think you can just unplug the SAI pump (pass side, behind battery near fusebox next to firewall). Proper way is to remove the system, pipes, cap the pipes on the heads or use non SAI heads, and swap the ECU, then blah blah...

I had a Disco with a dead SAI pump once, and my recollection is that car started and ran just fine, but with check engine light. I remember being really annoyed paying alot of money at the time to fix something that did nothing other than eliminate a warning lamp (and emissions of course). So I would thus speculate, if you just unplug the SAI pump it would do the same thing as if you had a bad SAI pump.

BTW They're not that loud when they are fully functional btw... always a bit louder on the 4.6 (2003-2004 like yours), but I've always thought it was a bit of a cool Disco noise to hear.
I'm in the market for a used, inexpensive SAI pump. If someone has one that was working when pulled off and wants to sell it, let me know. 2004 D2

Thanks,
Gregg

Old 06-27-2023, 02:52 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Search "delete SAI". You can eliminate not just the pump, but the plumbing and plug the SAI outlets on the heads. Unfortunately that is not legal in my state.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 366 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by nashvegas
#1. That picture is a whole situation... hahaha.
Uhhh, yeah. With that out of the way, the pump may be screaming because its intake filter has a problem, Clogged, ruined, broken apart and being sucked into the fan, etc. Or maybe the pump just needs lubricating. If dash lights are truly not an issue then you can certainly just pull the plug out. Ok, I've said enough, I'm already feeling greasy.

Old 06-28-2023, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys, I’ll try those suggestions. The picture is obviously supposed to be funny, hope it hit the mark! By day I sell insurance and insurance accessories 😎

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (06-30-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 09:20 PM
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a loud SAI pump. Got the ebay special from a low mileage junker and did the Juke Filter Mod. It worked like a charm and has been totally operational.

There is also a write up to replace all the stock tubing with temp rated hoses and piping all available from home depot. I have not done that.

There is also the bypass/delete mod. If I recall correctly you can flash the ECU to change the SAI setting to identify that it is not present after plugging the holes and deleting tue components.

I like Juke’s filter mod. It’s makes servicing the filter much easier and you can get the K&N Filter shipped to any auto store within a couple days.

Let me see if I can find the write up and part number for you. Search in google Juke SAI Filter Land Rover Forums and it should pop up. There are many available pumps on ebay as well.

EDIT: Glorious photo my guy. That def a vibe.

The following users liked this post:
jastutte (06-30-2023)