Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Crank Seal

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Crank Seal

I am staring to change front engine cover gasket and I need to remove the crankshaft pulley.

Any ideas?????

I can tell that the thing is on tight. I am sure someone has done it on here. Do I need any special tools from LR?

I already made my own tools to take off the viscous fan so if I need any special tools, I am sure I can make them myself.

I just need a good direction hahahahahah. How did you attack this issue???

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Remove the fuse for the fuel pump.
Put your socket on the crank pulley nut, put breaker bar on socket.
Brace breaker bar on garage floor.
Tap ignition key.
Nut will now be loose.
To put it on you must use the proper torque values.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Mudding

Thanks Spike!

However, I tore the top of the engine off for the valley pan gasket replacement, so needless to say......cranking the engine is a NO GO.

I took the hole pattern of the bolts on the pulley, so I am going to make a tool at work tomorrow. Will post pictures.

Thanks again!

Old 10-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

How many miles on the engine, are you considering doing the oil pump and timing chain while you are in there?

Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

I recall another post, where a used serpantine belt was routed around the crank pulle, shoved through a pipe, then clamped firmly with vise grips, making a "necktie". This pipe is against the frame, and a long cheater bar is used to remove that 185 ft/pound torqued nut.

Of course, you don't have to crank the truck, just bump the starter. Heads are not off, so no timing issues?

Post pix of custom tools please.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Just because the intake is off means nothing for tapping the starter, however if the heads are off of the lifters or rockers are off then no, you cannot crank it over.
If you remove the oil pan you can wedge a pry bar against the crank shaft to keep it from moving.
Otherwise you are going to need a impact wrench or a really big hammer to smack the breaker bar, several quick rap's with a big hammer should break the nut loose.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:00 PM
Drifting

My oil pan was off when removing mine. I used a 2x4 to wedge against the crankshaft. I was a serious bitch to remove. Good luck.

Old 10-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
How many miles on the engine, are you considering doing the oil pump and timing chain while you are in there?

Mike....the truck has 84,000 miles. So far it has been running like a champ, but because the oil leaks I decided to change as many gaskets and seals as I can before the Canadian winter comes hahahha.

Engine is really quiet and as I said it has been running excellent. No real problems, so I think I will skip the oil pump and the chain (maybe next year). I already added too many things to my "to do list" that I wasn't planning on. Instead of a weekend project this thing is turning into a week long project. I better stop adding things to my list otherwise it will take me a month to get all the things done.

Thanks everyone. As I said, once I make the tool I will post the pictures and a drawing so you can make your own.

Old 10-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I've removed mine twice in the last few weeks.

First time: 2x3 wedged in the Crank Shaft with a 4' breaker bar- Simple!
Second time: Starter method- Super simple!
Third option: Short impact wrench (haven't gone there)

Old 10-03-2011, 05:51 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you can take an old belt clamp it around the pully using a pair of vise grips to hold the belt tight. then hook the other end of the belt over anything you can find on the frame or a bolt on the block, it will tighten it's self as you losen the crankshaft pully bolt.

Quick Reply: Discovery Crank Seal