Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Issues

Hey Folks,

I have a 2001 Discovery II SE7 and I love it. It is my 3rd Discovery in three years so I am beginning to spot faults that are surfacing that are LR characteristics. I am going to tell you folks whats wrong and hope that you can tell me how much you think it will cost and whether or not you have had this issue. Thanks guys.

1. Passanger side rear door does not unlock on its own after being locked. It can only be opened from the inside. This has happened two other times as well. Any ideas what it could be, and could I repair it myself?

2. Same as number 1, this time it is the driver door. Only thing different is it never locks!! Now my key will not lock it from the outside (nor the inside for that matter). I put the key in and wigggle it, trying to get it to twist, but nothing. LR said that it is most likely the latch, costing about $450 including labor. Hope it is something simple.

3. My ARS (Air-ride) motor is constantly running, according to LR certified tech's that changed my oil. The guy stated that he has seen this problem only one other time, indicating it is not a LR characteristic. Said on that occasion it was only the switch that needed to be replaced. What do you think that would cost? He could'nt know more until he looks into it further (costing more money). The tech told me that it won't hurt anything (but surely it could burn the motor out faster). Also, my car is just a little bit lower in the back. When I press the air ride button, my car raises up but later on goes back to its current state.

4. Of course, I have the common problem everyone is complaining about; the infamous "Three Amigos". The brake lights that randomly come on and go off on my dash. From what I have read, it could be brake pads causing dust build up on the ABS sensors. Or it could be an expensive ABS ECU module. LR told me that it won't hurt anything not having it repaired. Worse case scenario, I just won't have ABS while the lights are on. When having my brakes looked at, the mechanic noticed that my rear axle seal was leaking, and he felt it was leaking onto the ABS sensors causing the 3 Amigos to come on. Could this be the case??

Thats all I can think of for now guys. Thanks so much for your help.

Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

OK, 1 and 2, door lock actuators, you can buy good used oines at www.roverlandparts.com and replce them yourself if you are half way handy.
As for the SLS (self leveling suspension) you need a new height sensor, no big deal, again a DIY job.

3 Disco's in 3 years? What do you do blow them up?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

If you are refering to your SLS pump, if it is always running, it will burn out shortly from overheating too many times.
It should only activate when the rear end needs to be lifted, in your case, you have an air leak and should deal with it sooner then later.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:35 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all you listed are jobs that you should be able to do in a afternoon as long as you have a good idea what you are doing,,,