Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery Motor Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery Motor Swap Question

Hi all, after loads of problems with getting the head gasket to seal on my DII, I found out that the cylinder sleeve on the number six cylinder had slipped just a little bit causing the head gasket to not seal. I decided to get another engine at this point. I found a 1998 land rover Discovery I SD (120K miles). I paid 600 dollars for it, and the engine in it ran, and it drove nicely, no steam or smoke to report. It had major body damage though, and the interior was completely ruined. Those faults did not matter to me since I only wanted the motor. I pulled the motor out of the 1999 DII (the one with the slipped sleeve), and pulled the motor out of the DI. I took the oil pan, intake manifold, valve covers, all the accessories, timing chain cover, damper, water pump and swapped those from the DII engine to the DI engine. Everything went on nicely, I replaced all of the gaskets on the DI engine except the head gaskets since I am afraid to touch them as there was no head gasket issues on the DI engine. I also replaced the timing chain while I had it out. The problem I am currently having has to do with the flywheel and crankshaft position sensor. When I looked at the sensor that came on the DI engine, I noticed it will not plug into my DII wiring harness due to having only two prongs on the sensor's plug, where the DII had three prongs. So I decided to swap over the DII sensor to solve that problem. Then the issue with the flywheel comes up. The DII flywheel will not go onto the DI engine with the DII crankshaft sensor in because the sensor is positioned slightly to the left (due to a different plate land rover welded onto the block) and will not fit in the groove it needs to be in for the DII flywheel. However, the DI flywheel fits just fine, and will make a full circle without the sensor ever going outside the prongs or touching them. My question is: Will the engine work with the DII crank sensor and a DI flywheel? If not, can I make a DI crank position sensor with the DII wiring harness? The DII flywheel has a groove all the way around it with wider holes spaced out inside. The DI flywheel has gold coloured prongs that go all around it that the sensor fits into. Thanks for reading this

Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Anything can be made to work, but as a general rule a DI engine will not work in a DII and vise versa.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read of people doing it, but an adapter has to be made or something has to be welded to make the crank sensor sit right.

Old 06-30-2011, 11:01 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses, but I was just wondering if the DI flywheel would work with the DII crank sensor. Do you guys know of anyone who has done this swap successfully that I can contact? Thank you