Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY $120 Lift

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:52 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 965 Likes on 642 Posts

Thabks for linking that for me! The link button doesn't work on my iPhone for some reason.

Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I am all for innovation, but to me it seems dangerous. The wheel is rated for 30k when being used for its intended purpose. Cut it in half, lay it on it's side and drill 2 holes in it, now what is it rated for? Now you mount the larger round disc on a smaller square metal perch, sink 2 bolts through it and then vibrate it down the road? Ill be curious to see how it holds up.

FWIW, you can get a set of 2" TF spring spacers for $60 (forum Member price). Those are direct bolt ins that eliminate the guess work.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 PM
Camel Trophy

Definitely understand your concern, Erik. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it and I'll probably get some TF 3" springs if it doesn't hold up, but the 2" spacers weren't really enough and I didn't have the extra $30 when I bought the stuff, still don't. I'll definitely keep a close eye on it though, and if I see the first sign of failure I'll return to stock until I can afford a proper set if springs.

I'll be sure to update here if there's any sign of failure also.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Definitely understand your concern, Erik. I'll be keeping a very close eye on it and I'll probably get some TF 3" springs if it doesn't hold up, but the 2" spacers weren't really enough and I didn't have the extra $30 when I bought the stuff, still don't. I'll definitely keep a close eye on it though, and if I see the first sign of failure I'll return to stock until I can afford a proper set if springs.

I'll be sure to update here if there's any sign of failure also.

My biggest concern is the weight of the diameter of the spring pressing down on the outer edge and cupping over the smaller square perch and creating instability. Very curious to see how these hold up. Nice write-up with pics. Also curious, when you said extra $30, is this a $60 lift or a $120 lift?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:32 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I didn't think about the bottom doing that, but it's definitely understandable. Doing the rough math with a little guess work, it's strong enough to hold 30k on it's side, probably an area of about 1"x6" (6"^2) and with it being circular. Compare that to 2.5" height with probably a square of about (probably just under) 3"x3" (also an area of 6"^2) and the sides being straight instead of cuved, I'd say it's still plenty able to hold the 1,250-1,500 lbs that are on each of them usually, with a maximum weight of 3k lbs one one at maximum articulation with the truck loaded all the way down. I'm still definitely going to keep a very close eye on it for a while just to be safe. If it failed, I don't think it would be catastrophic, but still dangerous. Definitely don't want that.

I paid $30 because I already had the rear springs to put in the front, but a set of used rear springs are about $80 so that plus the bolts for the rear and add a little wiggle room for the price of springs, brings it to $120.

I also need a new set of radius arm bushings, new rotoflex, and I'll be looking at shocks as soon as I can afford them. What's the member price for the full set of poly bushings (GAL128D) and a set of Terrafirma +2" Shocks, and a Rotoflex (TVF100010)?

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-29-2015 at 01:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Camel Trophy

Ok, just an update. I pulled the rear apart yesterday to add the Disco 1 spring plates with a second spring isolator on the bottom to bring the rear up to level with the front. That worked perfectly, she's sitting with the rear 1" below the front just as it was before the lift. It also appeared that 200 miles (not a lot by any means) had not loosened the bolts at all and the poly spacers had not gotten any indentions from the plate stand on the axle or the spring plate on top. I also added loc-tite this time to help prevent any loosening and torqued them down tighter than last time. I will update if there is any more change or I'll just update in like 1k miles if there isn't.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:22 PM
Camel Trophy

Ammendum! Adding an updated version here, likely installing on a buddy's rig on Sunday. Using 3" long 4" diameter aluminum pucks purchased off eBay and drilled. Here's a quick peek at the spacers. I'll do a full update when it's in.

I would like to add, since I never updated, in 20k miles the poly spacers never compressed any nor did the bolts loosen up, so I'd still be comfortable recommending that route to someone. That said, if you've got a drill press the aluminum is not much more expensive.

Name:  EylPBSY.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  3.68 MB

Last edited by Alex_M; 09-26-2019 at 11:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brendon H (12-13-2019)
Old 05-10-2022, 01:17 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Still Running Rear Springs in the front?

I was reading your post about a budget lift kit and I am curious if you kept it or if you changed it out for something else since then. Are you still running rear springs in the front? Were those stock height rear springs? Any thoughts about what you would do different? If anything. I have the Terrafirma lift springs "TF 052 PS" and "TF 052 DS" in the front. that are supposed to give me a 2-3" lift and I have 1.5" spacers in the front.. but my 285/75/16's rub like crazy... Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Old 05-10-2022, 01:56 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 769 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoJunction
I was reading your post about a budget lift kit and I am curious if you kept it or if you changed it out for something else since then. Are you still running rear springs in the front? Were those stock height rear springs? Any thoughts about what you would do different? If anything. I have the Terrafirma lift springs "TF 052 PS" and "TF 052 DS" in the front. that are supposed to give me a 2-3" lift and I have 1.5" spacers in the front.. but my 285/75/16's rub like crazy... Any thoughts would be much appreciated!
what wheels are the 285s mounted on? Also more lift does not alleviate tire rubbing issues...might make it so it doesn't rub on the street but they will still rub when articulating or compressing both sides over a speed bump or bridge transom...if you are rubbing on the radius arms which I bet you are if on stock alloys you can adjust the steering stops to avoid that.

Old 05-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The 285/75/16's are mounted on G4 edition six spoke wheels. Front wheels: From the top of the center cap to the bottom of the front fender is 20". Back wheels: top of center cap to bottom of fender is 21.25" ish... They rub on tight turns and yesterday the rubbed entering the Safeway parking lot... that was embarrassing.. lol..

Quick Reply: DIY $120 Lift