Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 2004 model Head Gaskets hold up better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Winching
Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Do 2004 model Head Gaskets hold up better?

I'm still looking for a Discovery and I've found several 2004 models with over 100,000 miles on them and on the original head gaskets. Does anyone know if they last longer on the 4.6 liter motors than they did on the 4.0 liter motors from the earlier years?

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

also seach for posts on 4.6 and oil pump... (failures)

IMHO it is not the quality of the HGs, but the numerous problems that can happen with the cooling system, combined with a gauge system that makes a wide range of temperatures appear "normal" on the gauge. When temps slide up, people don't know that this is a very, very bad sign, and keep driving. Same with the nonsense of having just an oil light instead of a gauge on some models. Who, other than an ex-spouse, would drive around town with 10 PSI of oil pressure and think it normal?

The combination of very little information coming to the driver from instruments, and sky high dealership prices, and the skunk smell economy make for deferred maintenance.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
I'm still looking for a Discovery and I've found several 2004 models with over 100,000 miles on them and on the original head gaskets. Does anyone know if they last longer on the 4.6 liter motors than they did on the 4.0 liter motors from the earlier years?
I have an 04 and had to do them at 104K, so i would plan on it one way or another if it hasn't been done. Also, this is on a motor that was previously replaced by LR early in its life

Old 09-29-2011, 09:14 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

They don't hold any better the any other D2 engine. That being said, if you have a new set installed properly, the chance of them ever needing to be replace is slim and none.
Also, 04's didn't have the oil pump issues some of the 03's had.
If and when you do buy one, make sure the front drive shaft has been rebuilt/replaced, must have 1 grease fitting on each of the 3 front u-joints.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There is nothing special about the 2004 head gaskets as far as I know. I'm pretty sure they are the same as the 96-2003. Now before 96, the 3.9L engines had metal head-gaskets, the the newer style composite head gaskets are supposed to be better.... but they also changed the heads, and removed some bolts.... so who knows.

I do remember seeing an early discovery once that had a head gasket so bad that it was leaking combustion gasses between the block and the head. It sounded just like an exhaust leak.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jim Swade
having recently bought A 2003 DISCO with a 4.6L I used car fax and it turned out that "my" disco had the head gaskets done by the dealership at 50,000. It has now got 90,000 on it but i do not have any ticking or 3 amigo's so driving with the fingers crossed. Personaly I like the 4.6 over the 4.0 but they can suffer from alot of problems.

Old 09-29-2011, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jafir

I do remember seeing an early discovery once that had a head gasket so bad that it was leaking combustion gasses between the block and the head. It sounded just like an exhaust leak.
That's exactly what my '02 was doing, gasket tore right open on Cyl. 6. Could feel the air and thought it was an exhaust leak on the lower exhaust manifold gasket.

Old 09-30-2011, 11:43 PM
Winching

Yeah, x2 what was said about the cooling system. I have never thought it was the actual head gasket that was the issue. It was the poorly maintained cooling system that turned into an overheating issue that ended up in a warped head or blown gasket issue. You let your engine float past 235 degrees and you will be doing head gaskets.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Mudding

So, while we're on the topic...of FRONT DRIVE SHAFTS..what;s the hot tip for a reolacement, who makes it, sells it, how much, the usual...Appreciate it. Oh, also, as I am just about to start the tear down on a HEAD GASKET R&R, same Q's but for the plug wires...Do they have weird ends? If not, I be willing to bet I can build a set of MSD's 8.5's for less and get way better wire...like 45ohms/ft, If I remember, they're dbl spiral wrapped, suppression, the amount of wire per lineal ft is massive...they're not exactly cheap, but the only way to get more juice is solid core...
All input is appreciated.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

onewingman - look in tech sticky area of the D1 forum, there is a how to on propshaft DIY rebuild, about $21 per ujoint. Please have the RAVE tech manual on hand for head job, there is a separate section in there for "overhaul", has specs for flatness and machining, etc.

Last edited by Savannah Buzz; 11-10-2011 at 10:13 PM.

Quick Reply: Do 2004 model Head Gaskets hold up better?