Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you agree about tranny filter replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you agree about tranny filter replacement?

My '03 Disco has 86k. 2nd owner.

Took my disco to a garage mechanic for replacing my caliper and rotor (seized up). This garage mechanic is top-shelf.....used to be master LR mechanic at the LR dealer for about 10 years, until he decided to open up his own shop some three years ago. He was also a mechanic at the local Lambo dealer here in the north shore area of Boston. Both LR and Lambo dealer owned by the same company. Oh yea, his everyday car is an '01 disco, pimped out. Anyhow....

He fixed replaced my caliper and rotor. I also asked him to perform a tranny flush and put in a fresh new filter. He pretty much said "no." He further stated that the filter should be replaced only once....shortly after 30k miles. He argued stating that after the break-in period, there is a lot of debris floating around and the filter should be replaced at 30k miles to remove this floating debris. Furthermore, he said never again, but would do the tranny flush and filter if the fluid is dirty and ONLY if the disco has less than 90k miles. Same argument as the 30k interval - too much floaties. In the end, he said he would consider replacing my filter if and only if he saw that the fluid was dirty. My fluid was dirty.

Your feedback on how accurate he is about the tranny fluid and frequency of filter replacement?

Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Never heard that one before. My Mechanic similar to experience as yours. And he believes that it is important to change this filter especially with our higher mileage trucks. We do not always know the full service details prior to our ownership. And as such it is good to change out a few times the fluid to ensure that there is the majority of the old out and new in. plus anew filter to ensure proper, well filtration. As for a flush, well I have been told that a flush that is mechanical is a really bad idea. It will be interesting to hear what other owners here have to say about this.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:03 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I dont get it. Replacing the filter seems like a very cost effective and equally "DIY" job. Cant think of any reason why it would not a good idea to replace the filter multiple times through out the life of the transmission. Cant see why you cant replace the filter after 90k either. Then again I cant see someone not replacing their oil fuel and air filters regularly either.

Dont know. Curious what other members here have to add.

Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

i could see his point about not touching it after 90k If it had not been done before, most tranny guys will tell you the same-thing.
If it hasn't been maintained don't go throwing new fluid in because it will start breaking things free (dirt/grime). But if it have been maintain why not continue?, just tell him it's your truck and you want the filter changed.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have heard that theory more then more time. I think the theory is that you can do more harm then good by dislodging something and plugging up the tranny. The rule of thumb seems to be, replace once and forget about it. I just do a drain and refill every 50,000 miles. It will only replace about half of the fluid at a time but it's better then nothing.