Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the alarm system detect broken windows?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does the alarm system detect broken windows?

I had a new stereo and subwoofer installed in my truck today to replace my dead stock radio. People's cars get broken into and people's stereos get stolen all the time at my school, so I'm worried about it happening to me. Does the stock Discovery II alarm system detect broken windows? I know it knows if a door is opened (hehe I found that out), but what about a window being shattered? There's no security in the school parking lot so people usually don't bother with unlocking the door, they just bust the window first. The only way you can draw the attention of the lazy SRO officer is if your alarm goes off.

Thanks

Old 09-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Some have basic alarm, some have the additional motion detector module(s) that appear from the RAVE manual to be located above a door pillar. See Google Images for a pix.

From the RAVE:

The BCU uses volumetric sensors to detect any change in air movement within the vehicle. There are two sensors
located in the headlining of the vehicle.
Input/Output
The sensors require a regulated power supply of 12 volts, via the BCU. When a change in air movement is detected
the sensors generate a 5 Hz pulse train to the BCU.
Each of the sensors have a dedicated signal input to the BCU. Power to the sensors is supplied by the BCU.

But to test it, you may have to have someone lock you in the car, then move around. Or find a test brick. Hope you don't immobilize...

Old 09-20-2011, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

If you have it, you'll see the sensors, one on the headliner the front on the driver's side, one in the back.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...iner-d2-26219/

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I know I don't have the interior motion sensors and I have the nicest model HSE. I have locked the car with me sitting in the seat and flailed my arms no alarm went off. But I know our window glass is extra hard tempered someone was saying KKK glass or something similar. Sounds racists but that was what I read. I have banged the windows hard with a hammer by accident and it didn't break so its tough stuff.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the sensors and if I leave the windows open and a good gust of wind comes along it will set it off. I am not sure if the basic alarm has a percussion sensor or not.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

glass break was an upgraded alarm system stopped in later years.

Old 09-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Winching
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
I have the sensors and if I leave the windows open and a good gust of wind comes along it will set it off. I am not sure if the basic alarm has a percussion sensor or not.
I thought I was the only one that noticed that!! Everyone else thinks I'm crazy!

Yeah, even leaving the sunroofs tilted up (not open) will allow enough air change to activate the alarm. Happened when I parked in front of a busy deli, and uh yeah.. these things have loud horns when you're 10' in front of it!

Old 09-21-2011, 06:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, mine doesn't have it :/
It has a blank piece of plastic above the driver's pillar instead of sensors (always wondered what it was)

Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

^me too! i never knew what that blank piece was. i dont have sunroofs either, so i have a bunch of blank covers in my headliner plastic piece above the windshield as well.

even if the alarm does not go off when the window is broken. if you use the double-click lock feature, where you hit lock twice real quick, it latches the door, so it cannot be opened from the inside. so if the thief wants something, he/she has to crawl through the window.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:24 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by handsome rob
If you are going to protect your truck by locking the doors, why are you leaving a window open, might as well leave the key in the door so they won't damage the truck by breaking in.

Quick Reply: Does the alarm system detect broken windows?