Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does this bill seem reasonable for a complete head gasket repair?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 10:43 AM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does this bill seem reasonable for a complete head gasket repair?

My engine went busted and my mechanic had to replace all the gaskets. I am ignorant when it comes to car. Could you guys take a look at the bill and see if the parts look appropriate and if the labor charges in terms of hours seems reasonable.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Untitleddocument (2).pdf (233.0 KB, 194 views)
Old 04-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

that story, with an attachment!? from someone with 5 posts? somebody else go first...

Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Adding it up, I'm coming to $2925.35. Is that what he charged?

Did he state why he replaced injectors?

Last edited by Alex_M; 04-20-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

All would have been good questions to ask before you approved the work.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

Hourly rate looks fine. Gasket prices are high.

Is this a crying over spilt milk issue? If he has already done the work, you really don't have any room to complain about the price or negotiate. All in all you didn't get "ripped off", but you paid the premium price.

If you intend on keeping the rover:

A- Find a more reasonable mechanic who specializes in Rovers.

B- Whoever you use, negotiate a price pre work commencement.

Learn to fix all the little stuff yourself. A rover can nickel and dime you to bankruptcy.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:20 PM
Camel Trophy

Yea, I'm with drow and abran, you overpaid for gaskets but probably not for labor as long as he did the work right. Time to buy some tools and get buddy-buddy with the Rave manual as well as the forum here. It will save you buckets of money in the long run as long as you have somewhere to work.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:43 PM
4wd Low

I am not sure what you mean by that. I would rather you say things upfront than thru inuendos.. like man just to do not so long ago.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:44 PM
4wd Low

I just want to know if it seems reasonable. He did replace 3 cylinders and did a complete engine tune up. I just want to know if the price is fair. He originally told me the job would take 2 weeks and $3k. He called me three days latter and it was done so I am wondering if I am been taken advantage of. I am an honest person and expect the same but some how I feel like maybe he overcharge on either parts of labor. I would rather prefer you ask me upfront for money than you steal from me. I expect honesty.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:49 PM
4wd Low

All I want know is if this seem reasonable. Otherwise, if I have been taken for a ride, I would rather know and start looking for a new mechanic. Do not worry I am not planning to ask him for money back He would just loose a good client. He can keep the money if he needs to steal if from working class folks.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 PM
Camel Trophy

Assuming you meant the "spilt milk" comment, it's not so much an innuendo as much as it is a relatively common saying.

Very simply, you overpaid for gaskets but not by a lot. He was not being dishonest, he just went back with OEM (it appears) which you pay a premium for. Labor charges seem reasonable enough. I don't think he took advantage of you, I just think he didn't know all of the specifics about this truck and the parts that most people go with.

3 days is a reasonable amount of time if he wasn't backed up with other work. I'm not sure why you'd think you were being taken advantage of from the fact that he got done quicker than expected. I'd be ecstatic.

Quick Reply: Does this bill seem reasonable for a complete head gasket repair?