Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does this sound like a crank position sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have only been able to find Bosch no matter where I bought from. Kinda funny.

I'm still glaring at mine in the garage, really not feeling like swapping that for the 4th time.

Dave

The following users liked this post:
SaltyRoverNC (04-19-2024)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Success! I have red marks on my arms where they rubbed against the exhaust (no, it was not hot) and a stiff neck. Why did they put the crank position sensor where they did - especially if it is prone to fail?!

Actually the sensor was not so bad. It was the plug!! If I ever have to do this again, and if any one is getting ready to do this, here is a tip. Have your new sensors plug ready (lubed up with dielectric grease) and in hand as you unplug the old one. That way the harness in in your and the new one can be plugged in right away. Fishing the harness out to where you can snap it into the sensor's plug is a pain!

Is it my imagination or does the engine sound quieter now?

Old 05-05-2013, 04:35 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by north_nm_rover
Is it my imagination or does the engine sound quieter now?
Nice work. Did you unplug the battery while doing this? This will reset the ecu and make it relearn all of its sensors, which will make the engine sound different.

I did, and I also noticed it sounded a slightly different for the first day. It may have simply been the fact that it was actually running, and I was being over sensitive to listen for hiccups...

Dave

Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know what? I forgot to unplug the battery. If I do it now will it have the same effect? is there a length of time that it needs to be unplugged?

Old 05-06-2013, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling

There's no need to unplug it now - you're better off leaving it plugged in, if you're only changing your crank sensor. That sensor has no memory, it's the ECU you clear by pulling the battery. The ECU makes small changes to the way it manages the engine, depending on what it SEES from the sensors, and I've heard it can take up to 3 tanks of fuel before it really settles in to changes. Think of it as a rolling tally of numbers that it's going by to get the best efficiency. Law of averages, if you will.

Dave