Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doing some maintenance today, couple questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing some maintenance today, couple questions...

Im doing some basic maintenance today on my 01 Disco. What oil should i buy? Oil Filter? This truck is fuel injected so does it have an air filter? What else should I do while I have the hood up today? Grease the u- joints? Also, there is a pinkish fluid in a container labeled Cold Level or somethn of the sort, what is that? and also it seems low but there is no line for me to see where it should be filled to? any sugg's? As you can tell, I can change oil, but im certainly no wrench. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-18-2009, 10:29 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Read the maintenance section of your shop manual first. If you don't have one, go to http://green-oval.com/joomla/index.p...d=13&Itemid=29 and download the Rave manual (factory manual in pdf format). I use WIX 51515 (also sold as NAPA Gold) oil filters. K&N and Mobil 1 are good too, you're just paying 2-3 times as much. Baldwin B2 filters are good as well.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Go to NAPA, buy 6 quarts of 10w-40 motor oil and a NAPA Gold oil filter part number 51515.
Also buy a air filter.
Change your oil and oil and air filters.
Anything else you want to do follow the write ups on the top of the page.
That container with that pinkish stuff is your coolant overflow bottle.
That pick stuff is your coolant.
It should be right in the middle when cold.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by seamuspg
Im doing some basic maintenance today on my 01 Disco. What oil should i buy? Oil Filter? This truck is fuel injected so does it have an air filter? What else should I do while I have the hood up today? Grease the u- joints? Also, there is a pinkish fluid in a container labeled Cold Level or somethn of the sort, what is that? and also it seems low but there is no line for me to see where it should be filled to? any sugg's? As you can tell, I can change oil, but im certainly no wrench. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
I may be wrong, but it sounds like your mechanical experience may hold you back on doing too much. Check my service list at the top of the Discovery section, your truck may need most or all of this work done and if you want to try and do some of it, one of us can try and walk you thru it, best way to figure out what makes your truck work.