Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome Light Electrical Demon

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Dome Light Electrical Demon

So.....my front dome light is acting possessed. It comes on at random times when the door is open and key is on but it is not consistent. Also it will not come on by the overhead switch no matter what I do. Obviously the bulb is good as it does occasionally come on but I am not sure where to start to try to find the little demon in the wiring. When I have the door open and no key in you can depress the door switch and you can hear a click under the seat but no luck with the light coming on. It almost seems like the overhead switch is bad and that the door switch is bad also. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to start to try to fix this. The dome light coming on would be nice when I try to get in and it is dark outside. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 AM
TReK
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

use a test light and find out if it is good. if it isn't then its likely a wiring problem or corrosion issue at the fuse box.

Old 04-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue but only with the light above the trunk area... going to investigate when I get the headliner out

Old 04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Winching

Well I spent about an hour testing everything. I checked the door switch, the overhead switch, the fuse box, and all the connections and good power. I also cleaned them all. Still working the same. If you have the door open the dome light will come on but only with the key in the ignition and turned on. The on position will not work no matter what. I just don't get it. Also the wiring looks brand new. The only thing I can think of is to replace the dome light and if that doesn't work I guess I will run some new wires (eventually).

Old 04-10-2010, 09:24 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by discomedic4
Well I spent about an hour testing everything. I checked the door switch, the overhead switch, the fuse box, and all the connections and good power. I also cleaned them all. Still working the same. If you have the door open the dome light will come on but only with the key in the ignition and turned on. The on position will not work no matter what. I just don't get it. Also the wiring looks brand new. The only thing I can think of is to replace the dome light and if that doesn't work I guess I will run some new wires (eventually).

yeah it sounds like the domelight switch is bad must be stuck in off position

Old 04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Winching

Hey, when I forgot to mention that when I took the light switch apart there is a green colored grease on the connection plate on the switch plate. Is this supposed to be there. I left it in place as I was unsure. Could this be the problem? I don't want to clean it off if it is supposed to be there but I have never seen grease on an electrical connection before.

Old 04-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

it is most likely some sort of dielectric grease used to keep the connections good. (so much for that) the "green" IS corrosion ...and may be your problem, clean it really well and see what happens.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Winching

I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Winching

Ok. Well that didn't work except to make the light more consistent on the door switch but the key must still be in the on position for the light to come on by the door switch. No luck at all with the on position. Guess I will wait until I can order a new dome light assembly. Thanks for all the help guys. Sometimes it just has to be replaced, no fixing it.