Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

door lock actuator

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: door lock actuator

Did it, bought the rear left and driver's side actuators and changed them last friday. There's really no shortcut in the removal. the window frame really does have to come out. And in the front, this means the mirrors also.

One thing that really has me puzzled here, is that the front actuator just stopped working all of the sudden. no weakening and failing with time.

So, after numerous hours of removals, installs and adjusting the latches and windows that werebinding after the re-installation of the window frame, I set back and since the rear had never worked since I bought the truck going on a year and a half, I finally was looking at all the doors opening and closing at the push of the remote. NOT!!!!!

Now, just like the driver's door, the passenger's front door just decided to stop working !![:@][:@]So I still haven't been able to enjoy all doors properly working togheter, not even for a second[]

Something is really fishy here. 2 actuators in a row deciding to suddenly stop working without warning since they were both working perfectly by opening and closing without the slightest hesitation. I really don't get it.[&o]

Could the ECU be doing this??? Although it is true that the driver's side that had stopped working is now new and perfectly working. Anybody else have seen them go just like that without some kind of warning,, like they usually do by getting weeker and weeker ???

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I would tend to agree with you, it is most likely the lock ECU. I have no idea where it is located, b ut probally a broken solder on the board.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Mudding
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Kind of a project but when I got my disco all the door lock actuators were slow and failing, I removed them all, opened them all up, pulled the electric motors out, and replaced them all with new electric motors I got from the electronics store. Two years and still working.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking a bit further into it ( taking the door panel off and lubing the heck out of the actuator through the seams of the casing), I've found that the actuator does receive the command to open cause you can hear it click, but unfortunately it won't open the door. So I guess that the ECU does its job, but the motor doesn't. I'll head to the garage and try to open the driver's side actuator that was removed last week-end to see how feasible it is to work on it without breaking everything. And if it does look easy enough, I'll remove and try to fix the pass.side.

Later,

Steph.