Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock cylinder wafers

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 06:12 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 895 Likes on 646 Posts
Default Door lock cylinder wafers

Years ago I had the broken lock shaft problem where the lock cylinder would simply spin. I solved that problem by crafting a replacement shaft from a 20d nail.

Now I have the opposite problem. The key won't turn in the door lock at all.

A locksmith told me the problem is often that the wafers get gummed up and that I should "lube the hell out of it" and keep working it with the key.

I removed the door handle and did as instructed. I can see that the wafers move freely against their springs, but one wafer doesn't move at all when the key is inserted. As I was inspecting and lubing/cleaning the wafers a small piece of brass fell out. I expect that it's the back side of the offending wafer and that the offending wafer will need to be replaced.

I'll try today to find a locksmith to repair it the lock but as with so many things Rover I'm expecting a lot of "I don't work on Rovers" replies. Sheesh.

It also occurred to me that if the (expected) broken wafer can't be replaced perhaps it can simply be removed. The remaining wafers would still allow the lock to work.

I know I could always just get a new door handle but I of course don't want to end up needing two keys. I also know I could buy a matched door and ignition cylinder set from abran or Paul or somewhere else but I've read how much of a PITA changing the ignition cylinder is.

I found an interesting thread on this forum from a couple years ago suggesting that the DII key can be cut differently on each of its two sides since only one side of the key actually does the work in either the door or the ignition. The only trick to that would be knowing which side of the key works in the door and the ignition but a little spot of paint or a groove cut in it would address that problem. I had an extra drivers door handle lying around here a few years ago but I now can't find it.

For now the truck can be locked and unlocked using the keyless entry system but we all know that could fail at any time. A backup system is always advised.

Anyway, do any of you have experience getting a DII door lock rekeyed?

Old 07-31-2017, 05:57 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Years ago I had the broken lock shaft problem where the lock cylinder would simply spin. I solved that problem by crafting a replacement shaft from a 20d nail.

Now I have the opposite problem. The key won't turn in the door lock at all.

A locksmith told me the problem is often that the wafers get gummed up and that I should "lube the hell out of it" and keep working it with the key.

I removed the door handle and did as instructed. I can see that the wafers move freely against their springs, but one wafer doesn't move at all when the key is inserted. As I was inspecting and lubing/cleaning the wafers a small piece of brass fell out. I expect that it's the back side of the offending wafer and that the offending wafer will need to be replaced.

I'll try today to find a locksmith to repair it the lock but as with so many things Rover I'm expecting a lot of "I don't work on Rovers" replies. Sheesh.

It also occurred to me that if the (expected) broken wafer can't be replaced perhaps it can simply be removed. The remaining wafers would still allow the lock to work.

I know I could always just get a new door handle but I of course don't want to end up needing two keys. I also know I could buy a matched door and ignition cylinder set from abran or Paul or somewhere else but I've read how much of a PITA changing the ignition cylinder is.

I found an interesting thread on this forum from a couple years ago suggesting that the DII key can be cut differently on each of its two sides since only one side of the key actually does the work in either the door or the ignition. The only trick to that would be knowing which side of the key works in the door and the ignition but a little spot of paint or a groove cut in it would address that problem. I had an extra drivers door handle lying around here a few years ago but I now can't find it.

For now the truck can be locked and unlocked using the keyless entry system but we all know that could fail at any time. A backup system is always advised.

Anyway, do any of you have experience getting a DII door lock rekeyed?
Its true that its difficult to get those door lock fix. I have been going to master locksmiths around here and nobody want to do it. The best route is getting both door and ignition set from Abran, he has a set. I happen to have the same problem but fortunately I have a set that came with ecu and bcm from long time ago. But still, I dont have the time to replace them.
But in an event that your battery dies, something like this is a very cheap install. I had these in all my discos incase battery dies. I just leave it near the grill where I can reach to jump battery. Its a winch connector.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:08 PM
Camel Trophy

I found another thread here describing taking apart the door lock cylinder and removing a broken wafer to get the lock to work. I tried that today. I removed a C clip and retaining ring, but I can't figure out how to get the lock further apart to be able to remove the broken wafer. Please chime in if you have any experience with this. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Door lock cylinder wafers-photo761.jpg   Door lock cylinder wafers-photo447.jpg  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You are going to have to punch out that roll pin.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:23 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

The roll pin will only release the door lock pin.

you need to examine the backside of the tumbler, there are spring loaded tabs that release and remove towards the outside.

Old 08-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Camel Trophy

Thank you Abran. I'm looking and looking but haven't yet found the spring loaded tabs. I'll appreciate any further guidance, please. From anyone.

Old 08-06-2017, 01:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

I'll appreciate any further guidance, please.]
Your experience re-keying or re-pinning simpler lock tumblers such as your home's exterior door locks? Lock tumblers are rather small simple devices, some previous experience and knowledge of individual lock or assembly characteristic is needed for many to succeed.

You also need to have the tumbler separated from the handle/lock assemble to access.

Last edited by number9; 08-06-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 08-06-2017, 05:19 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by number9
You also need to have the tumbler separated from the handle/lock assemble to access. ......
(I think) I know what to do once the tumbler is separated but what I don't know is how to separate it.

I have removed the gasket that fits between the handle and the door and I have removed the Philips-head screw but I haven't been able to take it apart further.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:21 AM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01
Thank you Abran. I'm looking and looking but haven't yet found the spring loaded tabs. I'll appreciate any further guidance, please. From anyone.
I got one separated from the handle a few years back but can't remember how exactly.

Im not at the shop for another week, so don't have one to reference.

Take it to a local old school locksmith, he will get the tumbler separated.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:13 AM
Camel Trophy

Frank4 says in this post from 3+ years ago that he was able to remove wafers. I PM'd Frank but he hasn't replied. Frank! Where are you!?!

Quick Reply: Door lock cylinder wafers