Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door lock mechanism question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 01:40 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door lock mechanism question

Hey guys,

When I first picked up my D2 the lock cylinder on the driver's side door was all jacked up (see pic) and the guy said it was because at some point someone had to force their way into the vehicle.

He gave me a working key fob and I ended up getting a 2nd key fob made and just learned to live with it for a while, but now I want to get it fixed. My biggest worry is some day my battery will be dead and my push button key fob won't do anything to get me into my truck and I'll be in a crappy situation...

Can I simply get a replacement lock cylinder with a key from a parts truck or do I need to do something more complicated? I'm not looking to re-key the ignition if I can avoid it, I just want a basic key that can open my door if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:24 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Stu AZ
Hey guys,

When I first picked up my D2 the lock cylinder on the driver's side door was all jacked up (see pic) and the guy said it was because at some point someone had to force their way into the vehicle.

He gave me a working key fob and I ended up getting a 2nd key fob made and just learned to live with it for a while, but now I want to get it fixed. My biggest worry is some day my battery will be dead and my push button key fob won't do anything to get me into my truck and I'll be in a crappy situation...

Can I simply get a replacement lock cylinder with a key from a parts truck or do I need to do something more complicated? I'm not looking to re-key the ignition if I can avoid it, I just want a basic key that can open my door if needed.

Thanks in advance!

Not clear- does key work in cylinder?

Old 03-21-2017, 07:27 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

you can get a key and door handle from another vehicle its no a hard project.

Old 03-21-2017, 10:54 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

@jamestfl, To clarify, key enters cylinder but won't turn either direction likely because it's jammed up or possibly a different key than what came stock.

@gulfdisco, thanks for the advice. Do you know of one for sale by chance?

Old 03-22-2017, 09:08 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Stu AZ
@jamestfl, To clarify, key enters cylinder but won't turn either direction likely because it's jammed up or possibly a different key than what came stock.

@gulfdisco, thanks for the advice. Do you know of one for sale by chance?
ok, then x2 what gulf said. Check with abran or Paul Grant or one of the other dismantlers here.