Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are dowty washers reusable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are dowty washers reusable?

I'm considering renewing the rod and main bearings on the bottom end of my '03 Disco II 4.6 V8 this weekend.

Are the dowty washers that fit around the cross bolts for the main bearing caps reusable, or should they be renewed if they are removed?

Thanks!

Old 10-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good question! make sure to inspect them for any damage and replace if you suspect any. But yes they are reusable.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 10-26-2012, 07:55 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

be sure you turn the crank as you assemble and tighten the bearings, otherwise you will end up like the last guy who got done and found everything locked tight as a drum.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Hi drowssap,

Thanks for the tip. Am I correct in interpreting your comment that as I am doing the torquing sequence on the mains, that I should be rotating the crank a few turns during that process? Is there any specific point in the procedure I should be doing that (say, between first and second torquing)?

For the con rod bearings, should I be rotating the crank in between each bearing or bearing set?

Thanks in advance for clarification!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:41 AM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For the small price of the dowty washers replace them. AB sells them and they are cheap insurance against a leak.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes, exactly rotate the crank after you tighten each main and rod. you want to make sure that nothining is binding. otherwise your get to the end and it is bound up you down know where to begin looking for the problem

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Drowssap - thanks, makes sense!

0304Disco - yes, agreed. However, I didn't have time to get them by mail order, and tomorrow is my only window of opportunity for a few weeks. I'm going to stop by the local stealer to see if they have them in stock. If they do, I'll be renewing them as well. If not...I'll add a dab of hylomar around each.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:03 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arod829
Drowssap - thanks, makes sense!

0304Disco - yes, agreed. However, I didn't have time to get them by mail order, and tomorrow is my only window of opportunity for a few weeks. I'm going to stop by the local stealer to see if they have them in stock. If they do, I'll be renewing them as well. If not...I'll add a dab of hylomar around each.
A bit of RTV should do the trick if you can't replace. Are you pulling the engine or replacing the bearings while the engine is still in the truck?

Just me, but I would never do this while the engine is still in the truck and allow my timing chain to support the crank as I believe is in a write-up, just me, not saying it will do any damage to the chain.

Plus if your laying on your back under the truck torquing the mains would be a complete pain.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Drifting
Default Replacing while in truck

I'm going to do it while the engine is in the truck.

Fortunately, I have a friend with a lift and practically an entire Snap-On truck's worth of tools in his garage, so no need to lay down under the truck for the procedure.

As for the crank being supported by the timing chain, I was actually less worried about that and more about disturbing the rear main seal.

I was thinking that I wouldn't actually remove the main caps all at once, but simply let them all down an 1/8" or so to get clearance to push out the top bearing shells with the feeler gauge. Obviously, I'd be taking the bottom cap off of whatever bearing I was moving out at any given time. Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: Are dowty washers reusable?