Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain and Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 04:21 AM
Winching
Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Check with your municipality for proper disposal of coolant, it is quite poisonous. Here in Toronto they take it as a hazardous waste at a number of depots around the city. And don't get it in your septic system, kills off all the useful bacteria.
It's easy to be cavalier with these things, but we only get the one planet. Of course it's a land rover, we should probably only be allowed to park them over some kind of collection system… but you do the best you can.
And if Mike says use distilled, you use distilled!

Old 05-14-2013, 06:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

how much would it have cost to install a drain plug? just another LR screwup

Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Kinda like putting the coil packs under the intake manifold.

Buy your next radiator as a universal, all-aluminum one with a drain plug.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

not putting a heater control valve, removing the float sensor from the recover tank, making a one piece rear door with a fixed window, you could go on & on.

I been looking at Radiator Barn to find a similar core with a drain plug.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Don't buy any of the flushes if you are thinking about cleaning out your radiator cause after 100,000 miles D2 radiators are partially plugged and won't clean out.
Go buy about 5 gallons of distilled water, no tap water flush it thru 2 times, install a new coolant pressure cap and a 180 degree soft spring t/stat and your new coolant and you will be set.
Sorry for the confusion this is the 04 I'm talking about it has 70K not new but much younger than the 99 with 220K.
I have a new Soft spring thermostat, Flushing out the Dex so that was why I was asking about a flush. I wanted to make sure I get it all out. I have a few gallons of distilled water but getting more before getting started. Forgot to order an new cap. Got water wetter also. Maybe this weekend I hope.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Drifting

Is there a sticky or step by step on how to flush and refill? I ran some clean water through the system to flush but I don't understand how to fill it up with the proper coolant/distilled water mixture.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

re: I don't understand how to fill it up with the proper coolant/distilled water mixture.

Rather than fool with mixing it, just buy 50/50 premix green coolant, like Peak, then no worries.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Rock Crawling

There is 16 cups in a gallon. I get distilled water and some Peak or Prestone "whatever" the green/yellow coolant if on sale. I keep an old gallon original coolant jug and mix 8 cups of D-water and 8 cups of antifreeze in the old jug and keep it in my Rover at all times in case I or someone needs to top off. Or in this case to drain and flush. I am just going to use D-water for flushing the 04 . I used a kitchen measuring cup that we bought many years ago that I keep in the garage for such purposes.
Something about premix that bothers me . It's just me

Old 05-16-2013, 08:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slabrat
Something about premix that bothers me . It's just me
And me...it's the price! You get half the coolant for almost the same price. At least that's why it bothers me.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Drifting

I have done a flush so now my system is full of water. So how do I get that water out so I can fill the entire system up with the proper mixture? If i just button it up and top it off then it's almost exclusively water.

Quick Reply: Drain and Flush