Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The dreaded flashing M & S lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:40 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The dreaded flashing M & S lights

I know this has been discussed before but I can't figure out whats going on here and need some help. I get the lights sometimes and it goes into limp mode and other times, its fine. I've changed the battery, I've checked the voltage etc and all is okay. I have visually inspected the the wiring and don't see anything loose. I've done the xyz reverse wiper test (not sure how reliable that is) and the rear wiper comes on when I put the vehicle in reverse. The one strange clue that may shed some light however is that the other day, the car was running fine. I stopped the vehicle put it in park, I got back in the car and slammed the door a bit harder than normal and boom, the lights started flashing. Not sure what that means. Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks
R

Old 03-09-2016, 10:22 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You should get a code when those lights flash. I get a P1562 when those lights flash, which happens every few months at random. I just clear the code and go on about the day.

I would consider it a nuisance rather than a dread.

add: P1562 is battery below 9v at transmission computer. AFAIK the battery is fine, maybe I have a loose ground, etc. to look into.

You should get the codes read and start from there.

Last edited by Dave03S; 03-09-2016 at 10:25 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Lcagee (06-30-2022)
Old 03-09-2016, 10:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 189 Likes on 184 Posts

Are the gear indications normal on inst. panel and shifter?

Old 03-09-2016, 10:39 AM
Overlanding

I'm glad you brought that up. I get the typical P0905 code. I've cleared it but I still get the flashing. When they are flashing, they flash on the shifter and the inst. panel. Sometimes the brake light comes on to. The three amigo lights comes on from time to time but I think thats a separate issue as I've had that for a while.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Try tightening the lugs down on the battery terminals or better yet, take them off and wire brush them, then put them back on tight. It's an easy potential cause to eliminate.

The following users liked this post:
Externet (02-06-2022)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:17 AM
Overlanding

Will do batard. I'm using a Durablast battery which has a cone shaped terminal and Ive noticed that the clamp doesn't go down all the way on it. U think that could be the problem?

Old 03-09-2016, 07:16 PM
Drifting

I get these too when I start up after a cold night. I get P0748 - it's a voltage thing for me when it sits in the cold overnight. I'll be around 12 volts so once I turn off and start again the voltage is w/in normal and everything runs like a dream.

If I check the voltage after I've started it up the first time, it will always look like it is within normal range. Since I have an UltraGauge connected I get to see that on those cold mornings it starts a bit low and that's when I see the lights.

Not a fix yet but at least I know that its a voltage thing for now.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:02 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 842 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by Reza
Will do batard. I'm using a Durablast battery which has a cone shaped terminal and Ive noticed that the clamp doesn't go down all the way on it. U think that could be the problem?
It's not so much whether or not the clamp goes down all the way as it is how tightly it clamps. I've shimmed mine various times in various ways to get a tight connection - once with a toothpick or two (really) and now with a small screw driven down between the clamp and the post.

But if the M&S lights are giving you fits and you're reasonably sure it's not a voltage issue you should get the codes read. Just like ABS codes, most less expensive code readers/diagnostic tools don't read tranny codes so you may need to take it to a shop. There are something like 15 codes that can trigger the M&S lights and while low voltage seems to be the most common cause there are others. Many others. Many more expensive to repair others.

Last edited by mln01; 03-10-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:48 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

you battery has to put out at least 13.5 or better or it with trip the tranny ecu, it one of the reasons for the M&S. Bad body grounds are another very common reason for m&s.

Old 03-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought one of those chinese ground kits from ebay for like $15 and ran grounds all across my engine bay. It looks cool, and maybe, just maybe helps.
On a Civic I hear it adds 40hp.
But seriously doesn't hurt.

Quick Reply: The dreaded flashing M & S lights