Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive shaft problems... Can anyone help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So... Using a mixture of penetrating oil, a pipe for leverage, and some wrenches, I was able to get 3 of the 4 nuts off, but the last one just won't come off. It's stripped now too, just to add even more complication.
Anyone have any advice how to get this stuck stripped bolt off the drive shaft? I've not a clue what to do now.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Ironstag
So... Using a mixture of penetrating oil, a pipe for leverage, and some wrenches, I was able to get 3 of the 4 nuts off, but the last one just won't come off. It's stripped now too, just to add even more complication.
Anyone have any advice how to get this stuck stripped bolt off the drive shaft? I've not a clue what to do now.
Channel Locks. If it's too gone for that, then cut with a wheel or chisel.. Sometimes, a small pipe wrench will get it.

Old 11-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Overlanding

Have tried channel locks, and vise grips. Pipe wrench won't grip in the direction I need it to, and won't fit the other direction. someone suggested I go get a nut breaker, so I did, and all the nut breaker did was mangle the nut. Didn't break it, but mangled the **** out of it.
I haven't a clue what to do...

Old 11-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Pro Wrench

Have tried channel locks, and vise grips. Pipe wrench won't grip in the direction I need it to, and won't fit the other direction. someone suggested I go get a nut breaker, so I did, and all the nut breaker did was mangle the nut. Didn't break it, but mangled the **** out of it.
I haven't a clue what to do...
Probably time for cutting. Once the shaft is out of the way, you can get at the stud better...

Cut the head off the nut, not the driveshaft.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Overlanding

I'm afraid to cut it for 2 reasons, one is I'm worried about the sparks from my dremel because i have a really bad oil leak down there, and the second reason is I'm afraid of damaging the bolt, because this is on the back side, where you can't get the bolts off, I haven't a clue how I would replace the bolt if I damaged it.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:23 PM
Pro Wrench

I'm afraid to cut it for 2 reasons, one is I'm worried about the sparks from my dremel because i have a really bad oil leak down there, and the second reason is I'm afraid of damaging the bolt, because this is on the back side, where you can't get the bolts off, I haven't a clue how I would replace the bolt if I damaged it.
OH, the bolt is stationary and the nut comes off? In that case, there's a tool called a nut splitter. It compresses the nut using a chisel on one side until it cuts off.

Product: Nut Splitter Tools — 2-Pc. Set

Old 11-08-2013, 07:10 PM
Overlanding

Tried using a nut splitter and it just tore up the nut instead of splitting it, it's still stuck on there.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

He needs to play more with those nuts

(damn that was to easy)

Old 11-08-2013, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

Take it easy, he already tore one.

Old 11-08-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

But, you don't have a cutting wheel of some type?

Quick Reply: Drive shaft problems... Can anyone help?