Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive train fluid check question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Drive train fluid check question.

I've been with this truck for 3 years (I married my wife 3 years ago and she bought it new in 2002 - original owner) She is the driver, I am the mechanic when it breaks. :-)

My 14 y/o son will be driving in 2 years and we hope he inherits this truck. One thing that I worry about is the undercarriage has what looks like normal oil and grease that has coated the drive train over the years.

My plan is to get the underside steam cleaned to remove old traces of oil and grease. Then I want to inspect and top up any fluids that are "lifetime fluids" - usually not replaced. Lastly I'll watch for leaks of any sort and address.

Good plan? Where can I get reference material on what/where to check fluid levels? The manual basically says the differential fluid is never replaced, if I recall. I want to be sure no fluids have trickled low over the last 13 years.

Can someone please give me a list of what places to check fluids along the drive train? Other places?

thanks!

Last edited by jamieb; 01-15-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 02:27 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Just found this in the sticky section. Will go look for more ideas there. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...uid-dii-23070/

Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 825 Likes on 600 Posts

Transfer case, front differential, rear differential and, as you're already looking at, the transmission. Front and rear diffs are the easiest. The fill plug on the t-case is a little more difficult to get to.

There really are no lifetime fluids. The factory maintenance schedule shows changing front and rear diff fluid at 90,000 miles and t-case and trans fluid every 30,000 miles. That said, there are undoubtedly a lot of trucks out there, Rovers and others, that do just fine going their entire lives with the diffs and t-case never being changed. Opposite that a lot of enthusiasts on this forum change all fluids every two years regardless of miles.

In addition to those fluids be sure to flush and refill the coolant every two years. Same for brake fluid and power steering fluid. ACE too if the truck is equipped with ACE.

Your best bet is probably to follow the recommendations in Disco Mike's Major Service post, which is a sticky at the top of this forum list. Recommended fluids are listed there. And if you don't have it download a copy of the RAVE, the factory service manual, which is linked here.

If she's owned the truck since new hopefully your wife has some service records that can be helpful.