Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers door lock won't open doors.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 04:59 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers door lock won't open doors.

The other day all of a sudden the drivers door key wouldn't open the doors. I turn the key in both directions and nothing happens. All doors open and close with the remote, so the door actuators work, but I am worried that one day the remote or battery will fail and I will not have a way of getting into the truck. None of the other doors have a key operated lock. Before I remove the door panel I would like to know if any of you have had this problem and if any of you know what could possibly be the problem.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

See attached. The driver door lock operates extra parts in the door motor, this signals the central locking and alarm system. The truck is wired so the BCU only knows driver door opened, or some other door opened. You may be lucky and it is just an actuator rod slipped out (look in bottom of door).

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
d2 alarm sw.pdf (135.3 KB, 761 views)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
4th Gear

Hi y'all.
I'm a noob here and have been hunting for a solution to this very problem on my 96 Disco (Australia's Roughest Disco!). My solution was this:
After taking out the door trim I was able to observe the action of the door lock mechanism, it turns out there a some little plastic ho-dads on the end of the lock barrel which activate the switch for immobliser/alarm and also operate the control rod for the actual door lock. one of these ho-dads was broken. My local spares guys say a A$65 replacement door handle will include these tiny plastic rings and do the job. becos I'm a tite-**** (or tite-***) and a fool I'm going to try and make my own little plastic ho-dad before I shell out. hopefully a senior member can understand what I'm saying and translate it into english for Normal ppl.

see you in the bush.

Last edited by M15ter D15co; 07-16-2012 at 08:38 PM. Reason: extra information
Old 07-16-2012, 09:47 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More than likely the little plastic clips dried out and fell off you can go get a plastic washer with the hole smaller than the small metal rod from a crafts store or where ever and put four small slits in it slip it on the connecting rod and call it good or go to your local rover dealer and ask a parts or service guy for the little plastic clips that belong on there. They are very cheap and they have dozens of them at our shop .

Old 07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I replaced a driver's door actuator in my 2001 D2 a few months ago.
The key operates a rod which is a plastic hex looking rod.
Like an allen wrench.

This slips into a female receiver coupling which then will drive the internal mechanisms of the latch.

If this has slipped out - due to someone fiddling with the latch - then there is your problem.

The latch has a screw on the inside of the door holding it on.
There is also two screws inside of the door.

And..

Of interest to you - there is a top screw
which holds the latch to the door frame and is up near where the key rod would enter the latch.

After I replaced the latch mech I had to take the latch partly out
again
to fix this bloody rod from the key so that the key would work properly.

Of course you latch may be toast.
But, doubtful
Is probably that Rod from the key cylinder to the latch.

This may provide you an hour or more of free entertainment.

Cheers.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Winching

Thanks for the suggestions and sorry for the slow response. I will remove the door panel and try to see what is the problem when I have a chance.