Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Locked, Other Door Lock but Won't Unlock & Guage Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 08:27 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drivers Door Locked, Other Doors Lock but Won't Unlock & Gauge Issue

I had my car stored until recently and when I went to get it out of storage the battery was dead. I charged the battery and was able to unlock and lock the drivers side door. The other door locks appeared not to be working. I took the car out for a drive and when I returned, the drivers door would not unlock. I could not open it with the door handle from the inside either. The others doors could be unlocked from the inside door handle.

Upon further inspection, I noticed that the passenger, rear and tailgate would respond to a lock signal from the key FOB or the central locking switch on the dashboard. However, they won't unlock with either the key FOB or central locking switch. I ran into trouble when I had the windows rolled up and accidentally hit the lock on the key FOB. I then ended up locking myself out. I used an air bladder to open up enough space on the tailgate and was able to snake a coat hanger in to pull on the inside tailgate handle to open the door.

From this point, still not being able to open the drivers door, I started studying the schematics from the factory manuals. I was trying to find some commonality with the door lock issue and the fact that both my temperature gauge and fuel gauge was not responsive. I wasn't able to identify anything in particular, except for a common feed from the serial bus of the BCU. With nothing to lose, I stood outside the car, reached through the window and with a bit of a struggle,I removed and replaced the interior fuse box. After this was complete, the car exhibited the same behavior.

I then proceeded to remove the drivers side weather stripping and removed the screws from the door panel on the top part of the door to give me enough room to peer down at the lock assembly and actuator. When the key is put into the lock, there is some resistance and it pushes up the door latch about half way, but as soon as the key goes back to center, the door latch retracts back. I can also alarm the car from the key and disarm it as well. I just cannot open the drivers door from the FOB, CDL or manually. As I peer down to the actuator, all the rods and linkages appear to be connected properly and turn, but the door will not release from the locked state.

Everything else in the truck appears to be working properly with the exception of the fuel and temperature gauge. They became unresponsive at the same time this lock issue came up. Also as an aside, a double press on the lock button on the key FOB provides the signature locking sound, but once again, it will not unlock. Any help with diagnosing this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited by SmithZ80; 07-10-2020 at 05:35 PM. Reason: Fixing title.