Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft - 03 Discovery II

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:34 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
This isn't true for a D2 because of the proximity to the catalytic converters which give off a ton of heat. I would never use a junk yard unit except in a pinch.

D2 shafts have to be retrofitted with greasable u-joints (aftermarket already have them) and they have to be regreased at every oil change.
An OEM unit would likely be fine. And a quick check aftermarked confirmed my thoughts on price. This is for material only.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:34 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by lively
The dealer said my U-joints are failing which based upon what I have read is a common theme.
U Joints are designed to be replaceable. They are about $30 a piece for good ones.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Alex_M
This isn't true for a D2 because of the proximity to the catalytic converters which give off a ton of heat. I would never use a junk yard unit except in a pinch.

D2 shafts have to be retrofitted with greasable u-joints (aftermarket already have them) and they have to be regreased at every oil change.
I've learned that. No since in me getting one off a Land Rover that has been sitting when the failure rate is high.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:13 PM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Rdr8887
U Joints are designed to be replaceable. They are about $30 a piece for good ones.
That's interesting. Would failing U-Joints cause it to drop as I've been told?

Old 07-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts
Talking

That's interesting. Would failing U-Joints cause it to drop as I've been told?
Of course! Those 2 bolts on the U-Joint are what is holding the driveshaft on.

Easy fix.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,239 Likes on 1,662 Posts

You can get a high quality front drive shaft that is MUCH better than the OEM unit with 4 zerk fittings (3 on U-Joints & 1 on the slip yoke) for 115.00 if you look around with free shipping. I bought my friend a unit off of Ebay for 130.00 with free shipping & that to me is better than rebuilding your old OEM unit.

Old 07-21-2017, 09:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 819 Likes on 596 Posts

Thank you. The dealer quote is 1,412.
Dear. God.

An immeasurable amount of space on this forum and others has been taken up discussing driveshafts.

First. STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT. Ignoring this advice could easily mean you need to replace the transmission because the driveshaft lets go and beats a hole in the side of the transmission,

Second, never, ever get a replacement driveshaft from a Land Rover dealer. They sell only the POS original style that does not have greaseable U-joints. That is what contributes to them failing in the first place.

Third. For as much trouble as I have had with them call or write to lucky8llc.com. They are selling a fully greaseblel driveshaft at a price that makes it not worth it to try to rebuild the one you have.

Fourth. Once you replace the driveshaft be sure to grease it every time you do an oil change.

Fifth. Replacing the driveshaft is not a difficult task if you have basic hand tools. The price quoted by the dealer helps ensure their Caribbean retirement.

Good luck, and don't be afraid.

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
Maa45069 (07-31-2017), Yo_Dis_BERNICE (08-25-2017)
Old 07-22-2017, 04:46 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by mln01
Dear. God.

An immeasurable amount of space on this forum and others has been taken up discussing driveshafts.

First. STOP DRIVING THE TRUCK UNTIL YOU REPLACE THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT. Ignoring this advice could easily mean you need to replace the transmission because the driveshaft lets go and beats a hole in the side of the transmission,

Second, never, ever get a replacement driveshaft from a Land Rover dealer. They sell only the POS original style that does not have greaseable U-joints. That is what contributes to them failing in the first place.

Third. For as much trouble as I have had with them call or write to lucky8llc.com. They are selling a fully greaseblel driveshaft at a price that makes it not worth it to try to rebuild the one you have.

Fourth. Once you replace the driveshaft be sure to grease it every time you do an oil change.

Fifth. Replacing the driveshaft is not a difficult task if you have basic hand tools. The price quoted by the dealer helps ensure their Caribbean retirement.

I appreciate the response. I checked out Lucky8 but they had just closed by the time I called. I have typically bought parts from RockAuto but being completely unfamiliar with the LR driveshaft, thought I'd look elsewhere. The dealer provided me that quote at the same time they fixed my intake leaking on my 02 sensors. 2 mechanics looked at that problem and referred me to the dealer. I couldn't fix that myself but I damn sure can learn how to do the driveshaft.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:48 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

The dealer said my U-joints are failing which based upon what I have read is a common theme.
For normal highway use they last about 100K miles but offroading 'kills' them quicker. If the driveshaft breaks you MAY end up with expensive damage to the autobox.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:53 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by mln01

Excellent comment ............... so true

Quick Reply: Driveshaft - 03 Discovery II