Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft rebuild done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by samurainigel
One of the u-joints on my '01 Disco is trashed. Had the usual signs that started with the squeak, then followed by the vibration and clunking. I didn't know about the clunking until I was informed by the missus (she drives it a lot more than I do, toting the kids around.) I drove it for a day (and when I say "drove" I should say "babied") with the clunking, and then parked it in the garage. This is what I found:

Needless to say, this has to be fixed immediately. I figure I'll do all of the u-joints while I have the front shaft off. What parts am I going to need here? I'm assuming three of the 1-0005 u-joints, and one of the 7-0081NG centering ball kits, but what's up with the busted piece you see in the picture? Is that something that's replaced with these parts, or is that a physical part of the driveline steel parts that can't be replaced this way? Am I looking at new u-joints, an entirely new driveline, or something in-between?

WOWOOWOWOWO!!!! you got lucky that diddnt destroy your transmission and transfer case... you are correct with the part numbers now pull that sucker and replace those joints. and yes that broken bit is part of the joint.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Antmen
$81.15 - 4 u-joints and 1 centering ball kit from Autozone (free shipping)
For anyone doing this I recommend being very leery of ordering u-joints from Autozone. Their web site says they are PDQ, but I've checked in the stores several times and their u-joints are cheap Chinese junk using PDQ part numbers. If the ones the OP received were PDQ, I suspect they may have been NOS and at some point they'll be shipping the Chinese ones.
Advance Auto Parts (store and online both) I know are PDQ/Neapco.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
For anyone doing this I recommend being very leery of ordering u-joints from Autozone. Their web site says they are PDQ, but I've checked in the stores several times and their u-joints are cheap Chinese junk using PDQ part numbers. If the ones the OP received were PDQ, I suspect they may have been NOS and at some point they'll be shipping the Chinese ones.
2x on avoiding the China u-joints from Auto Zone ...I installed some on the wife's truck....lasted 5 months !, I did get 8 months out of their chineese wheel bearing though ....

Old 05-07-2010, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
Oops - that was a typo on my post. I didn't order them from Autozone specifically for that same reason. I got them from Advance Auto and got some Neapco PDQ-boxed good ol' USA-made u-joints. See my post here:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=30590
or pic below.

Thanks for noting that.

-Anthony

Old 05-07-2010, 08:47 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to go to Advance, but they didn't carry the u-joints and had no way of knowing when they could get them in. Autozone isn't ideal, but they at least had the joints...

I was able to get the centering ball kit from Advance, well, it'll be here tomorrow. Should I take the ones from Autozone back and find something else online?

Old 05-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried to go to Advance, but they didn't carry the u-joints and had no way of knowing when they could get them in. Autozone isn't ideal, but they at least had the joints...

I was able to get the centering ball kit from Advance, well, it'll be here tomorrow. Should I take the ones from Autozone back and find something else online?
I ordered mine from here: http://www.rockauto.com/

I used Precision part #344 for u-joints and Precision part #617 for the center ball kit. The zerk fitting is in the base of the u-joints, but I had no trouble greasing it.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Overlanding

Got home last night and looked at the ones I picked up from Autozone and can verify they're the same PDQ branded ones above, right down to the neapco logo on the back.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:16 PM
Baja

Got home last night and looked at the ones I picked up from Autozone and can verify they're the same PDQ branded ones above, right down to the neapco logo on the back.
I think some Autozone stores have NOS, so you lucked out. For a while I could still find them at autozone, but slowly all of the Autozones around here have gone 100% Duralast (the chinese ones).

You can order them from Advanceautoparts.com. Of if you need them "today" I'd get the Precision 344's from someone local.

Last edited by antichrist; 05-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Id say it was probably well worth it. I took mine in and had the driveshaft and joints replaced and it cost me over $1300!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 AM
Baja

Originally Posted by 01disco2
Id say it was probably well worth it. I took mine in and had the driveshaft and joints replaced and it cost me over $1300!
Sounds like you went to the dealer for a replacement OE propshaft. If that's the case, you need to pull it and get it rebuilt with greaseable u-joints, or plan on replacing or rebuilding it every 40k miles.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft rebuild done!