Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft safety loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:01 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts
Default Driveshaft safety loop

Has anyone ever considered adding a driveshaft safety loop to a DECISION to protect the trans? Could be fabbed up cheap. Even universal pre-fab units are cheap. Nice insurance to save the trans from a 4" hole.

Probably will be the next mod on my truck, but curious to see if anyone else has done it.

Old 03-25-2018, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

You could get a steel plate and place it between the trans and the shaft, would be better than a loop for off roading.

Old 03-25-2018, 01:02 PM
Camel Trophy

I'd thought about that at one point, too. I kinda like the thought of the loop though because it would also protect the exhaust and floor pan. That end of the driveshaft doesn't move much either since it's attached to the transfer case which is fixed. I don't think it would interfere much cause it wouldn't have to hang low.

Old 03-25-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Has anyone ever considered adding a driveshaft safety loop to a DECISION to protect the trans? Could be fabbed up cheap. Even universal pre-fab units are cheap. Nice insurance to save the trans from a 4" hole.

Probably will be the next mod on my truck, but curious to see if anyone else has done it.
Hi Alex, yep I designed a front driveshaft restraint hoop some years ago in conjunction with SuperSport on this forum. I never produced it as the usage of the D2 is now minimal after buying a new LR4 (D4) which gets much more use on the autoroutes and locally. In fact it was two hoops 200mm diameter and 150mm apart welded together and anchored in 4 places made from 50x6mm steel flat with 4x 50x6 tie straps and using the same material to make the anchorages. Very easy to remove should the need arise, it would certainly have saved the transmission from terminal damage, that's assuming the driveshaft breaks at the double Cardan which most seem to.

Old 03-25-2018, 07:14 PM
Camel Trophy

That sounds pretty beefy, France. And there's a lot of mass in that double cardon; much less swinging around if the other end breaks, though still a lot. Oddly enough when I had to replace my driveshaft it was the differential end that was making noise. The double cardon was still fine.

None the less, I think I'm going to order this universal fit one and fit it. When I do I'll do a write up at the same time. I'll probably do it on my girlfriend's new ride first since hers is new and the driveshaft is questionable but she has other things to do before replacing the driveshaft. When I get it installed I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Old 03-26-2018, 06:02 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

This sounds interesting!

Old 03-26-2018, 07:43 AM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts

The loop wont be able to mount in the front coz the passenger cats is about an inch away to the shaft. Theres is no place to securely bolt the catch.

Old 03-26-2018, 07:49 AM
Camel Trophy

That might be the downfall for installation in a factory truck. We'll see. On mine the cats are moved back past the second crossmember, though the little ladie's is all stock.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Is it possible for anyone to post a photo of the underneath of the V8 front driveshaft showing the general arrangement of the shaft, exhaust and cats, frame etc as I can't estimate the problems involved. It's very difficult to imagine as I haven't owned a V8 D2 for 17 years.

Old 03-27-2018, 06:48 AM
Camel Trophy

I_ll be out at my parents property wherey girlfriend's DEFINITELY is 8n a bit. I'll grab a picture then. I'll also grab a picture of mine to share with the class, and because I need to look and see what I'm working with anyway.

Quick Reply: Driveshaft safety loop