Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft view and advice?

Old 09-22-2013, 06:39 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gbob
Yes, five grease fittings and not four.

See photo below to find the 5th fitting.
Thanks for the correction GBob, in any event I hope this is a good prophylactic measure I am takinig in replacing the shaft with a new one. The mechanic reported to me that the front drive shaft looked remarkably clean and intact which makes me question whether it is a replacement itself? I'm not sure, but I can't wait to get my vehicle back, been in the shop for 2 weeks getting the necessary maintenance it deserves and one more won't kill me.
If anyone has any experience with the BPUtah shafts let me know, I am sure they provide a good product based on my past experience with them but have not had any feedback on their shafts.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Cimomd:

I installed the front prop shaft myself a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. My prop shaft is from BP of Utah. The unit came all greased up, but have your mechanic confirm and grease up all 5 points just be prudent. One thing to point out to your mechanic: I think 7 or 8 nuts to remove, but not all the bolts; just four. Nearly impossible to remove the 3 or 4 bolts located at the rear of the truck. Just loosen and remove those nuts and leave the bolts intact. You could remove and replace all four nuts and bolts on the front (front, meaning under engine), but I recycled mine. FYI.

gbob

Old 09-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by gbob
Hey Cimomd:

I installed the front prop shaft myself a couple of weeks ago and so far so good. My prop shaft is from BP of Utah. The unit came all greased up, but have your mechanic confirm and grease up all 5 points just be prudent. One thing to point out to your mechanic: I think 7 or 8 nuts to remove, but not all the bolts; just four. Nearly impossible to remove the 3 or 4 bolts located at the rear of the truck. Just loosen and remove those nuts and leave the bolts intact. You could remove and replace all four nuts and bolts on the front (front, meaning under engine), but I recycled mine. FYI.

gbob
So you are saying just remove the nuts and any bolts that don't freely come off just leave on is that correct? I will let them know thank you.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:23 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

yes there are only 4 nuts and bolts. the nut should be replaced, they are "nylocks" meant for a single use only

Old 09-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drowssap is spot on. However, I reused my nuts, but then again, I'm nuts anyhow.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cimomd
If anyone has any experience with the BPUtah shafts let me know, I am sure they provide a good product based on my past experience with them but have not had any feedback on their shafts.
I've got one. Had it on for almost a year. So far so good. I haven't had any vibration issues. It's a well built shaft.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:05 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You could put on blue not red thread locker to the nylock nuts and reuse them.
But then you may not get the nuts off a third time.

That shaft the Good Dr. showed in his photo looks just like my shaft.
I have a 2001 and I now believe the Good Dr's shaft is the original.

I too look to have the original shaft on my truck still at 105K miles.

Old 09-26-2013, 02:33 AM
Three Wheeling

I guess I'd rather be safe than sorry and replacing it with a new serviceable shaft is rational. I shall post updates once I get the vehicle back in a week .....

Old 10-13-2013, 01:17 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update?
I replaced my front driveshaft with a Tom Woods today. It is not complicated but it turns out the nuts/bolts are 9/16, not 14 or 15 mm. I replaced all the nuts with new grade 8 nylock nuts and reused the bolts.

Last edited by Pipes; 10-13-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Pipes
Any update?
I replaced my front driveshaft with a Tom Woods today. It is not complicated but it turns out the nuts/bolts are 9/16, not 14 or 15 mm. I replaced all the nuts with new grade 8 nylock nuts and reused the bolts.
Pipes, yes, Ive had the Disco back for 3 weeks now after major service and new BP Utah shaft install. All bolts secure and it was an easy replacement. The vehicle is driving like night and day, smooth. I think part of it also are the maintenance tasks found in the major service 60k/100k items, I had BOTH done plus the shaft install. Just recieved a Terrafirma front winch bumper that is going on this week also. Hope this helps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driveshaft view and advice?