Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

driving with low voltage battery: wipers, windows, heater fan stopped working...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:57 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default driving with low voltage battery: wipers, windows, heater fan stopped working...

I was driving to Costco with a low voltage battery (15 miles or so) (had to no choice etc) to get a replacement battery. About halfway there, the red battery light comes on the dash and then the windows, wipers, radio, sunroofs, and heater fan become inoperable. A few moments later the red battery light goes away, but the wipers, windows, and everything else still don't work.

I replaced the battery, literally 7 miles and 40 minutes later (there was a line at Costco go figure), but the wipers, windows, and everything else etc etc still won't turn on or go up or down etc etc.

I tried locking/unlocking with the key three times, and clicking my heels, but this did nothing happened.

BTW: battery had low voltage because it discharged while I was taking my sweet time changing out the head gaskets etc etc. (Alternator tests fine etc etc.) The battery voltage had dropped so low that the alternator couldn't recharge the battery and provide enough juice to power everything. When the battery voltage gets too low everything shuts in order of priority etc.

I'm guessing that when the voltage got too low, the Disco's brain started shutting things off so the vehicle would still drive etc. I'm guessing if that's the case, then something needs to be reset to get everything working again (or something). That's what I haven't figured out yet. When the sun is up tomorrow, just to be thorough, I'll start looking for blown fuses (even though that seems counter-intuitive to me).

Any suggestions or ideas?

What works: all lights and turn signals, right and left electric mirror adjust, electric window defrosters

What doesn't: windows, wipers front and back, wiper fluid front and back, seat heaters, radio, sunroofs, heater fan, carcinogen lighter.

Don't know cuz I didn't try: AC, electric seat adjustments, cruise control, remote entry, and whatever else...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Thomas

Last edited by twaszak; 12-22-2010 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:45 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

did the CEL come on? you should have gotten a low voltage code. does the truck start now?

Old 12-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your alternator will charge a completely dead battery if it is working correctly.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:55 PM
Mudding
Default update...

realized this morning that my multimeter is flaky and unreliable.... that means the results from when I tested my alternator last night are crap and bogus...

I'm going to concentrate on my alternator before I try to track down the other stuff... I'll pull it and get it bench tested tomorrow (hopefully)

new battery ran down as well... needed a charge and boost to get started today... seems to point to alternator issues...

error codes.... I got a P0526 and a P1526

Old 12-23-2010, 03:40 AM
Mudding
Default oops... typo

sorry I meant P1562 and P0562

Old 12-23-2010, 06:50 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

go to an autozone or similar they will test the alternator for free. sounds like the alternator is shot.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Mudding

Update:
Alternator was crapped out and pushing out only 11.52 volts....

Replaced it with an $85 used 150 amp Bosch alternator from a 99 Range Rover that I was lucky enough to find locally. I tested it then installed it and all is good.

Thanks for everyones input.

Case closed.