Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC P0102, P1509, P1884, P1562, P0112 After engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:21 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DTC P0102, P1509, P1884, P1562, P0112 After engine rebuild

Hello All;

I have used these forums often as a non member to solve issues, but I have not found this specific problem. I know there are a people on here who are experts on these D2s, so I am humbly requesting some advice. Thank you in advance for any and all comments/Help. Here is the problem in as much detail as possible:

The problem: The truck drives fine until coming to a stop, then there is a low rumble/vibration and sometimes the truck will stall, other times not. It restarts just fine, but during the last iteration (this afternoon) the truck stalled at a stop light and upon restarting went into limp mode. made it home just fine, shut the truck off and restarted it and limp mode was off. No driving since then and no ideas, Though the only explanation I can come up with is the torque converter is staying locked up until the motor stalls. Prior to this rumbling starting the motor would stall and the codes would come on at the same time. I would clear the codes and the truck would drive just fine for a time. Once in a while the motor would stall and the codes would immediately return. So the codes only came up after the truck stalled.

The Background: I just rebuilt the motor, there were no issues with the rebuild and I got all the parts from Will Tillery. The motor started right up and drove good for about the first 30 miles, the last 5 have been the problem. The MAF unit was replaced with a guaranteed used one from Wil, and I have no reason to doubt it works. I did install a 4.6 liter cam and I thought some of the stalling was because the computer was learning to deal with the new airflow. Some of the aforementioned codes were there prior, but the motor went so long ago that I cannot remember which ones. I know 1884 was not there before and I think the IAT code was not there either.

The transmission was replaced with a 60K unit from a 2003 D3 approximately 3 years ago, there were no known issues with the trans prior to engine rebuild. though I did find the flex plate cracked when the motor was pulled, it was replaced with a used one.

My worry is that there actually was something wrong with the trans and now it is getting worse which is what is setting of the codes and the sensors are working fine. the problem only happens when in park and now when coming to a stop, sub 10 miles an hour. Other wise the trans was shifting fine, no issues with gear changes or anything.

My hope is one of the sensor went to crap with all the moving and bouncing when the motor was rebuilt and that is what is causing the trans to act funny.

Thank you again for taking the time to read this complaint/plea and have a nice day!

Ben

Old 04-28-2013, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

P0102 - MAF signal low

P1562 - battery volts 9 volts or less at tranny computer

P1884 - can be one of about 8 different CAN Buss messages between tranny and engine ECU. They text each other more that teenagers, babbling about load, rpm, shift pattern, etc.

P0112 - IAT sensor signal low

I did not see 1509

So based on no signal from MAF and IAT, they are in the same device (two sensors - one cable). Un plug, clean, and re-seat connector. Scanner should show ambient air temp for IAT at cold engine start. Then it should rise as engine heats surrounding air. Sould not be something like -40F.

Low volts at tranny computer is battery, grounds, dirty terminals, wiring around tranny computer.

I would expect the 1884 if the MAF is off the reservation.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:10 PM
4wd Low

Thanks for the speedy reply Savannah Buzz.

1509 shows as manufacturer controlled VSS, Idle Control, and Auxiliary Input on my cheap autozone scanner, which is the same thing it shows for 1509.

I could certainly see it being possible I jacked up the wires to the tranny computer and MAF, but I would think if the MAF was bad the truck would run like crap, it actually runs great until it stalls, and then all the codes come on. Am I off in thinking the codes would show all the time if there was a wiring issue or bad MAF?

Old 04-28-2013, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Codes get generated by reaching a specified problem range, on a certain number of drive cycles, some go at once, soem require more than one cycle. The scanner should also show MAF changing values with various throttle positions. Flat signal on scanner would be a give away.

I'll look harder for the 1509, but there is no VSS on the D2, it is computed by average of the ABS sensors by the SLABS unit.

IACV could have a hand as well, check connections for it, consider cleaning with carb cleaner. The MAF can be cleaned, but only when cold, and use made-for-MAF sensor spray. Don't even turn on the key, as as soon as the main relay powers up the sensor heats internal components.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM
4wd Low

Lol, I guess that one of the disadvantages to using a cheap scanner, it gives codes for things I don't even have. I thought it might be referring to the engine speed sensor which reads off the flywheel, but that was just an idea with no verification.

I think my biggest concern is not so much the codes, but really the low rumble/vibration at 10mph and under when stopping. Is it possible this is caused by a sensor out of whack too, like something keeping the torque converter locked up when it shouldn't?

So far I am pretty excited there is no mention of your transmission is ****e, get a new one.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator

Can't find 1509 in the RAVE or the Bosch ECU manual. 1510 and such is for issues with wiring of the IACV.

The flywheel signal is the crank position sensor (CKP), it has no fall back data, and if it isn't working there is no spark.

The MAF sensor is powered by fuse 2 under hood, but it also powers the O2 sensor, so you would get more codes maybe if it was blown. The MAF and IAT share a common ground line to the ECU.

It would help to have a scanner that shows live data.

Perhaps things will improve once you get these sensors working as needed. The IACV is handling engine control once foot is off gas pedal (like slowing down).

Old 04-29-2013, 12:59 AM
4wd Low

Ok, thanks for the research. It is sounding like the IACV might be the culprit as the thing runs perfect any other time but stopping. Can't say for sure when I will be able to check it out or even when I will be willing too. I must admit I am pretty fed up with the thing at this point. Once I do look into the thing I will come back and describe the results for better or worse...

Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe adding a ground strap from engine to frame.....

Old 04-29-2013, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First you have 2 MAF codes so either test the MAF and or get another one from Will.
The 1509 code is idles speed control short circuit might want to clean and reconnection the IAC connection along with cleaning your t/body.
As for the 1562, check/clean and tighten all your ground and battery connections then do a charging system test, while running, voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts.
Let us know what you find.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
4wd Low

Hello Mike; Thank you for your advice on this.

I will go ahead and retest the MAF along with the IACV.

As far as the cleaning part I spent over 40 hours cleaning every piece of the motor and accessories, to include the TB. To the point where I am a little worried that some of my cleaning might actually be the source of the problem.

I checked the charging system and that is good to go at 14.2ish, it fluctuates between .1 and .3

My biggest worry was that the sensors were working just fine and there was something mechanically wrong with the trans or new motor. But neither you nor Savannah have made any mention of potential mechanical failure.

Quick Reply: DTC P0102, P1509, P1884, P1562, P0112 After engine rebuild