Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC P0102, P1509, P1884, P1562, P0112 After engine rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update;

I ended up getting sick of messing with the thing so I took it too a land rover Master tech's independent shop. It turns out the guaranteed used MAF from Wil Tillery was garbage. But this was only the beginning, I got the truck back worse than it went into the shop. Now the TPS is also garbage (never had issues with it previously) and makes the truck undrivable, falls on its face, won't go, and then goes like stink. Very disconcerting in traffic. Along with the TPS the truck now revs to 3k upon startup, but the tech could not figure out why.

Also, there was an emission problem which after working on for three days the tech determined was an issue with the computer. So the final disposition is there is no way there should be this many issues with a truck with only 119K on it, the new motor will be sold (runs great) and the truck will be parted out and then crushed so the metal can be used for something more useful, like a jeep. If anyone out there wants a brand new motor and all the brand friggin new parts associated with it please feel free to PM me and we can discuss price and shipping.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

On the high rev at startup, I would look at what the scanner says is the coolant temp. If the sensor is unplugged, it can make the ECU think it is -40F outside, and you need more gas.

TPS is a "volume control" (potentiometer) and just like a radio they can get "noisy". If unplugged the truck will try to use a fallback value. On a scanner it will show up as TPS%, starts at about 9% and goes up smoothly as you press on the gas.

As for emissions, not enough info for that, but ECUs can be had from boneyard, will need to be "synced" to BCU in the truck.

And the warranty - well ask him about it. A brand new one is cheap for a D2. D1 is a different story.

I think melted Rovers are re-cast as aluminum pots, so they can overheat without being noticed....

Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

BTW, the "jumpy" response from a bad TPS could certainly cause things associated with that 1884 code; the ECU and the tranny computer are always talking about engine load, shift points, etc. And TPS is part of the load information.

"Hey - down there in the tranny - this dude has put the hammer down - wake up the valve body"

"Huh - what you talkin' 'bout fool? That hammer dropped but that rpm a'int changing like I think it should. I'm gonna turn that engine light on and scare some sense into that Red Bull road rage rascal, even if he do smell like Rotella."