Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DTC100810 Center cap compatibility issue?

Old 06-23-2019, 11:34 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Folks not very helpful on this matter. Apparently there are two different types/size lugs available for D2's running on steel wheels. If you want to use center caps then you need to make sure you get the bigger lugs (ANR4851).

The following 2 users liked this post by TRIARII:
nashvegas (08-09-2020), SP8RVR (07-09-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:36 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for following up with the part numbers and solution! Wheels look great!

Old 06-24-2019, 12:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Looks good

Old 06-25-2019, 02:39 PM
TReK
Default Update: 6/25/19

Do NOT USE genuine Land Rover lug nuts with Terrafirma steel wheels. The smaller lugs I initially purchased to go with the steel wheels are designed specifically for the tf wheels. The larger lugs are specifically designed for genuine Land Rover steel wheels. Installation and fitment of incorrect lug nuts will possibly result in damaged wheels and cause vibrations while driving at low and high speeds. My wheels have developed vibrations in the steering wheel at speeds between 45-50 mph and more severe vibrations in both steering wheel and accelerator pedal at speeds of 65-70.

Prior to installing the larger lugs the wheels had no issues. No vibrations in the steering wheel at any speeds. The truck was given an alignment and all wheels were properly balanced at a professional tire installation shop. But afew days after switch to the larger lugs the steering wheel starting shaking at said speeds. I took my truck back to the tire place and they inspected the wheels. They were expected to perform a second wheel balancing but instead they came out and informed me that all my wheels have been damaged at the lug holes. They pointed out that the larger lugs are eating through the metal of the wheel. They said the wheels were damaged but salvageable and that due to liability issues they can no longer remove any of the wheels. So I retrieved the correct lugs and brought the truck back to them hoping they could swap out the bigger lugs for the correct lugs and again they inspected the wheels and determined that the wheels are so damaged that putting the smaller lugs back on will be very unsafe. I asked them what would be safer until I figure **** out: keep on the larger lugs or swap to the smaller ones and they replied "neither option is safe and we cannot perform anymore work on your wheels due to liability".

Old 06-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Oh jeezus......sorry. That's not right.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:16 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Sorry to hear your grief. Did the original purchase come as a wheel and lug nut set? Or were they purchased as separate transactions?

Old 06-25-2019, 03:20 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by acg
Sorry to hear your grief. Did the original purchase come as a wheel and lug nut set? Or were they purchased as separate transactions?
I purchased 5 wheels and 23 lug nuts over the phone. Not aware at the time that the genuine center caps I bought from a different supplier are non compatible with Terrafirma steel wheels or the tf lug nuts. But they were not a bundled set. Lugs sold separately. I purchased the genuine lugs thereafter and swapped out the tf lugs so I could then install the center caps on the wheels.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Lug bolt/nut seats are an important overlooked factor in pairing wheels and lugs.

In the photo with the large vs small nuts, you can see the difference in diameter of the tapered seat where it engages the wheels. It looks like the TF nuts are designed to sit inside the hole of the wheel and center the wheel on the stud that way. The LR lugs look too wide and would ride on the outside of the wheel face, not inside where the seat is designed to go.

I would put the smaller lugs back on and see how well they engage/center the wheel holes

that's an expensive lesson to learn. Sorry you're going through it

Old 06-25-2019, 07:57 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 256 Likes on 214 Posts

Hubcentric vs. Lugcentric basically. TF's are lugcentric and LR's are hubcentric (just guessing)

Originally Posted by Llamasayswhat
Lug bolt/nut seats are an important overlooked factor in pairing wheels and lugs.

In the photo with the large vs small nuts, you can see the difference in diameter of the tapered seat where it engages the wheels. It looks like the TF nuts are designed to sit inside the hole of the wheel and center the wheel on the stud that way. The LR lugs look too wide and would ride on the outside of the wheel face, not inside where the seat is designed to go.

I would put the smaller lugs back on and see how well they engage/center the wheel holes

that's an expensive lesson to learn. Sorry you're going through it

The following users liked this post:
Errant (03-11-2022)
Old 06-27-2019, 10:16 AM
TReK

Iam currently in the middle of a claim. I ordered both the wheels and lugs from the same merchant. The first set of lugs that I purchased to go with the tf wheels were not compatible with the genuine center caps, so I called the merchant back and explained the situation and asked if they have the other type of lugs that enable me to fit the center caps and they suggested these larger lugs. I told them that they were for my tf steel wheels and asked them if the lugs were compatible with the wheels and they said yes. So I ordered the bigger lugs and installed them. Torqued to LR specification. Ever since the truck has developed a vibration in the steering wheel and accelerator pedal at speeds of 45mph and 65 mph. So into the truck back to the tire shop who mounted the new wheels and tires and asked them to rebalance the wheels. They removed the lugs and informed me that the lugs were were damaging the wheels and chewing the metal on the lug holes. They double checked the torque of all the lugs and found them to be within LR specification. The wheels were installed correctly. They told me the wheels are salvageable but damaged to the point that they personally cannot even remove any of them due to liability issues. They said the wheels are unsafe and even if I put the smaller tf lugs back on, the lug holes are chewed out and it would be unsafe.

I feel like if I found a random set of lugs and installed them and if they damaged my wheels then that's my own dam fault. However in this case I reached out to a company and specifically asked them what lugs would be compatible with both my new tf wheels and the center caps. They assured me that these bigger genuine lugs were compatible with these tf wheels and that they have seen other trucks using the same lugs on these wheels. But now that my wheels are damaged this company is refusing to take any responsibility. They did offer to reimburse me for one of the sets of lugs I purchased ($90 value) and they did reach out to Terrafirma to see about a claim. But obviously since my wheels were powder coated that voids any manufacturer's warrenty. But my arguement is that the wheels and lugs are neither defective. The damaged was caused by using lugs that are not compatible with these wheels. I personally installed these lugs. But the company assured me over the phone that these lugs were compatible with these wheels.

Companies that sell auto parts should be knowledgeable of the vehicle and parts and compatibility. If they are unsure whether a part is compatible with your vehicle or with you wheel setup then they need to be forward about it. They should never suggest parts that do not fit your vehicle or wheel combination.

To top it off I ordered a new 3" suspension kit with adjustable shocks from this same company. Yesterday the order was delivered. 4 cool springs and 2 shocks. There is suppose to be 4 shocks. I had to call the company back and ask them to ship out the other 2 shocks. It seems like one thing after another with this company.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DTC100810 Center cap compatibility issue?