Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Battery Set upfront...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019, 02:55 PM
Mudding
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Dual Battery Set upfront...

going to set up my deep cycle battery on back until I saw a few photos of people setting them upfront...

do they cut the fender well to fit two?

i looked at mine and there is just no way they’ll fit vertically...

Stuffed my jumper inside the jack since the Jack is useless now.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:03 PM
Drifting
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Putting two batteries in that location requires installing a tray specially made for it. It’ll also remove the bottle jack area as that entire plastic tray comes out to accommodate it.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 175 Likes on 108 Posts

I stressed alot about dual batteries, complexity, cost, etc and then just decided to KISS and buy the biggest battery I could fit in the factory tray.

Old 10-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Bumble
Putting two batteries in that location requires installing a tray specially made for it. It’ll also remove the bottle jack area as that entire plastic tray comes out to accommodate it.
Yes, I took it out and still doesn’t sit flush. I would need to cut the fender well... unless I’m missing something...

Last edited by GoRoll; 10-19-2019 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:44 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by gecko951
I stressed alot about dual batteries, complexity, cost, etc and then just decided to KISS and buy the biggest battery I could fit in the factory tray.

I’m planning on plugging some A/C stuff. A week long trip in the woods etc without always needing to start the car to charge stuff.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 468 Likes on 279 Posts

Originally Posted by GoRoll
i looked at mine and there is just no way they’ll fit vertically...
For that reason I put my second battery into a battery box in the trunk. This way the battery isn't exposed to the high temperatures in the engine compartment. I can take it out for charging or as a power source in the tent or when there is a power blackout at home. Disadvantage is the lost space in the trunk.

Old 10-19-2019, 08:24 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Discorama
For that reason I put my second battery into a battery box in the trunk. This way the battery isn't exposed to the high temperatures in the engine compartment. I can take it out for charging or as a power source in the tent or when there is a power blackout at home. Disadvantage is the lost space in the trunk.
which is my route as well. I just happen to see this photo...

​​​​​​​

Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 PM
Mudding

Got a bit bored today so I started with the POS wire. I still haven’t decided which battery and how much AH I will want or need...

but at least the wire is tucked in and hidden all the way to the trunk.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 354 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you planning to wire up an isolator or are you just going to run 2 in parallel? I’m planning to do a dual setup with an isolator soon, I’ve built a custom battery tray but haven’t had the opportunity to test it yet to check fitment.

Old 10-20-2019, 09:30 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by greisinb
Are you planning to wire up an isolator or are you just going to run 2 in parallel? I’m planning to do a dual setup with an isolator soon, I’ve built a custom battery tray but haven’t had the opportunity to test it yet to check fitment.
Yes, I’ll be adding a VSR. I’m not in a hurry so I’m just taking my sweet time figuring where things needs to be. I still need to build a drawer system on the back but who knows when I can get to it. I’m doing things where my truck isn’t down on weekends since we are always weekendlanding...

Quick Reply: Dual Battery Set upfront...