Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Brake Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-Brake Question

I removed my center console today and had to disconnect the e-brake to do so per Rave. Well I'm trying to put everything back and I'm having an issue. The gears for the hand brake will not stay engaged. I can get them to click together but as soon as I press the button to release the brake it stays separated and doesn't return to the other gear. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clearly enough but it's almost like a spring should be in there to return the gears together to lock. Anyone have experience with the hand brake?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarvelVT
I removed my center console today and had to disconnect the e-brake to do so per Rave. Well I'm trying to put everything back and I'm having an issue. The gears for the hand brake will not stay engaged. I can get them to click together but as soon as I press the button to release the brake it stays separated and doesn't return to the other gear. I'm not sure if I'm explaining this clearly enough but it's almost like a spring should be in there to return the gears together to lock. Anyone have experience with the hand brake?

Thanks
The only experiece I have is when I replaced my old boot. I do believe there is a spring involved somewhere with the mechanism. I'd take the console back apart and watch it operate, you'll probably see the issue.

FYI emergency brakes have gone the way of the dodo. They are now referred to as the parking brake.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention its a Disco I.

I usually think of them as handbrakes (handbrake slides, haha).
Well, not in the Disco's at least.

I did look and I assume that a spring would be involved but I wasn't sure. I didn't see a spring lying around but I need to check again. I figured if someone knew for sure it would clear things up a little bit.