Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy CPS DIY

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I plan to hit it with some rust-oleum when I seal it up. We do not have that much of a rust issue here in the south since we have mild winters and do not need to salt the roads.

Just curious, why did you have to replace yours 3 times? I hope to avoid replacing mine again.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

While not confirmed 100% yet - First one was actually bad. Second and 3rd were red herrings. Long story short - Corrosion and ECU getting wet due to rust just below window on passenger side.

Each time it 'died' I had it in my garage, it sat for a few days, sensor got changed, ran like a champ. Every time it died I was at a car wash. The final tipoff was me driving it to work, did 100 miles that morning, parked it, zero issues. It rained, I went out, hopped in it, wouldn't start. That was the first time it died without me even being involved with a power washer.

Drove it yesterday, 30% chance of rain, didn't rain. Later this week I'll try again. Until then I'm on the BMW.

Dave

Old 07-30-2013, 06:09 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
While not confirmed 100% yet - First one was actually bad. Second and 3rd were red herrings. Long story short - Corrosion and ECU getting wet due to rust just below window on passenger side.

Each time it 'died' I had it in my garage, it sat for a few days, sensor got changed, ran like a champ. Every time it died I was at a car wash. The final tipoff was me driving it to work, did 100 miles that morning, parked it, zero issues. It rained, I went out, hopped in it, wouldn't start. That was the first time it died without me even being involved with a power washer.

Drove it yesterday, 30% chance of rain, didn't rain. Later this week I'll try again. Until then I'm on the BMW.

Dave
I'm confused... CKP is on the drivers side of the motor... you mention something about passenger window? Are we talking about the same thing?

Old 07-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I think what he is saying that in fact the ongoing problem does not appear to have been the CKP at this time, but a possible leak on the passenger side that is allowing the ECU to get wet.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep, exactly. The crank sensor is directly wired to the ECU, which is in that passenger footwell. I was headed for complete replacement of those wires when I figured out the problem. Since patching it, I've had zero issues, but I'm still waiting for a good rain. Maybe I should try a carwash again...

Dave