Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGT REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:29 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT REMOVAL

Hi All

I believe that if you remove the EGT valve on the disco 300tdi, the combustion temps in the engine would be much higher. Is it worth the risk to remove the EGT valve.
My disco 225 000km is very slugish uphills. Any idea if this could be the cause.

Many thanks

Old 09-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EGT REMOVAL

EGR valve.

If anything the exhaust temperature will be lower as you're not recycling hot exhaust into the combustion chamber. Highly unlikely you'll be required by law to keep the EGR on a 300tdi - don't think they imported any of them to the USA which is probably the only place that would require it for emissions control.

You can get some staggering performance gains and you can buy a blanking plate for it from e-bay for approx $10 US + shipping.

Hope that helps,

Old 09-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Adz
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: EGT REMOVAL

One thing you can check if you haven't already is the state of the diaphragm in the injection pump. Over time tiny amounts of oil mist from the turbo kind of 'condense' in there and can stick the diaphragm to the chamber top plate. This stops the diaphragm from moving downward in conditions of positive boost and you get no extra fueling while on boost - ergo it's sluggish. It should be pristine in there, no oil or dirt at all. Give everything a good clean and reassemble - shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to do.

CAUTION! Do not, under any circumstances, rotate the diaphragm or the spindle it attaches to - this can and will dramatically alter the fuel delivery rate, sometimes with devastating results, i.e. engine does a hand grenade impersonation.

Always mark the position of the diaphragm relative to the housing it sits in (there's a handy mark already on the plate in the centre of the diaphragm - usually a period sized punch mark) use a magic marker on the housing so you can put it back exactly where it is as standard.

Let me know if you need further instructions.

Cheers,