Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 08:17 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mj_duell
Unfortunately, my little project has been side tracked while I chase down my sudden increase in temperature. I changed out my water pump, T-Sat and radiator and now I am running about 15-20 degrees hotter. I have bled the system three times too. I am hoping I do not have a HG issue. Not loosing coolant, so I have no idea yet.

--Mike
Any updates? Similar issues here.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:30 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ebg18t
Any updates? Similar issues here.

Sorry I haven't been here in a while. It took a long time to sort out..it turned out to be a sticky thermostat. On a side note, the electric fans do a good job until it gets hot out, like 90 degrees. I ended up pulling them back out and going back to the oem fan which seems to handle the high outside temps better. I still think that with the right fans this would work.

--Mike

Old 08-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

If experimenting with fans, a handy tool to rent or own is an air flow speed meter. Then you can see make tests before and after. Obviously the radiator square feet is not going to change. My D1 does about 800 with just rad fan, and 1100 feet per minute with rad plus two condenser fans on. At freeway speed that would be 5,280 feet pe minute or higher. Trying to do this without test equipment is harder IMHO. But electric fans can work, Spike and I both have the same minivans, and my Kia 3.8 liter runs 180F like it was nailed up.

You can also experiment with different fans.

Attached Thumbnails Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question-p1120231.jpg   Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question-p1120262.jpg  
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mj_duell
Sorry I haven't been here in a while. It took a long time to sort out..it turned out to be a sticky thermostat. On a side note, the electric fans do a good job until it gets hot out, like 90 degrees. I ended up pulling them back out and going back to the oem fan which seems to handle the high outside temps better. I still think that with the right fans this would work.

--Mike
Oh man. I thought you were still struggling with your cooling issues. It doesnt necessarily mean the end. With fans thay can put out more CFM and a progressive fan controller, it can be done. Its just a case of finding a progressive fan controller.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:13 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check my you tube channel, I post a video not too long ago about in-line thermostate. The truck was running way to hot, i remember seen temp of 230F and almost 240F. It was very scary. So I search and fount the inline t-state upgrade. really easy and so much better.. Now the truck is running at 180F trafic and 178 higways.. The a/c fan that I rebuild not too long ago never kick in bcs the temp never gets to 204F. The electric fan only kick in when i turn the a/c on........ Now Removing the fan clutch and getting electric fans: I did that with 2 electric fans from advance auto, and the adjustable temp switch.. The Mpg is beautiful it was too good to believe LOL. The problem with those fans is the they can't keep up in idle. the engine start getting warm during day time tem 98f but during the night the truck runns just fine... So im getting those flexalite electric fans soon and im getting rid of the fan cluch again =)..

Old 12-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by mydisco03
check my you tube channel, I post a video not too long ago about in-line thermostate. The truck was running way to hot, i remember seen temp of 230F and almost 240F. It was very scary. So I search and fount the inline t-state upgrade. really easy and so much better.. Now the truck is running at 180F trafic and 178 higways.. The a/c fan that I rebuild not too long ago never kick in bcs the temp never gets to 204F. The electric fan only kick in when i turn the a/c on........ Now Removing the fan clutch and getting electric fans: I did that with 2 electric fans from advance auto, and the adjustable temp switch.. The Mpg is beautiful it was too good to believe LOL. The problem with those fans is the they can't keep up in idle. the engine start getting warm during day time tem 98f but during the night the truck runns just fine... So im getting those flexalite electric fans soon and im getting rid of the fan cluch again =)..
How did this work out for you?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

we'd also be interested in the mpg observed. Some guys in the frozen North run with no fan in winter, and they don't notice any mpg gross improvement.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone concerned that 2X1400 cfm fans may not be enough?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM
Super Moderator

A stock D1 fan makes like 800 - 900 feet per minute of flow at idle, I don't know the cross section, but that would give you the cfm. I'm thinking two 1400 cfm fans might be a little light. That said, Spike and I have the same minvan for SWMBO, Kia with dual electric fans, a 3.8 liter, and they keep mine at 180F like it was nailed up. Electric fans work, but you need to have the right size and proper controls. Blister pack aisle at the parts store might not be the the best answer.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

old thread: what was the outcome? I want to do this too.
What product did you use to turn the fans on and off?
what were the temps you decided on?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question