Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Set the fans to run at about 15% all the time. Or maybe it can be wired in with ac operation. When it sees power from the ac compressor, it turns the fans on to 20%. But that would leave trans temps to fate. Ideal situation would be to run the system at 15% all the time. Only saying 15% because they would be way more efficient that our current setup. And MJ, you are gonna have to test output of your alternator as well. I was actually thinking about that earlier. Uprated battery and alternator are gonna be needed. In addition, you might have to change the wiring off the alternator to battery to a slightly heavier guaged wire.

Maybe, let me measure the amp draw first using my current set-up. I will of course measure it after as well.

The problem that is now confronting me is what Savanna said and you elaborated on, the A/C at idle or slow driving. I checked the RAVE and Savanna is correct, the parameters are only mph and ambient temp, no coolant temp which would make life easy. Thought: Using the adjustable fan control that includes variable speed operation might be an answer.

Like this:
Amazon.com: Flex-a-lite 31165 Variable Speed Control Module: Automotive

I can run a low-setting for regular slow and idle to always spin at a low percentage. I can kick in a higher percentage when the temp goes past 180 or whatever the best temp is. Another thought, I am using two fans. I can turn one on at idle or low speed, I can have them both on at over the 180 or whatever the magic number is.

--Mike

Old 03-16-2012, 07:58 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Dual fan setup will make it easier. Only if you can run them independently. Run one at 20% as soon as the vehicle is turned on, then test your ac temperature coming out the vents, with the ac system on hi. Also, check your pressures on the ac system with it running. Can remember what they should be offhand. If the pressures are hi, obviously, turn the percentage on the fan up. Relatively easy fixes so far.

Old 03-18-2012, 12:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default alright already...

Enough of this Electrical Engeneering stuff... Start enjoying yourself....

http://www.littleblackbox.co.za/index.html

Old 03-24-2012, 05:52 PM
Pro Wrench

Any update on this. ? Pretty excited to see the the outcome and how much cleaner the engine bay is going to look.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dgi 07
Any update on this. ? Pretty excited to see the the outcome and how much cleaner the engine bay is going to look.

Unfortunately, my little project has been side tracked while I chase down my sudden increase in temperature. I changed out my water pump, T-Sat and radiator and now I am running about 15-20 degrees hotter. I have bled the system three times too. I am hoping I do not have a HG issue. Not loosing coolant, so I have no idea yet.

Now I do have one thing to report. Before I put the OEM fan back on I tried out my adjustable fan sensor switch and found there is way too much lag time at the radiator. Even set at 160, the switch does not enable until the engine is already crossing the 206 mark. I tested this over and over, so a new temp sensor location will be needed.

I will keep on this as time permits.

--Mike

Old 03-25-2012, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

In theory the heater hose and the throttle body hose get a steady supply of hot coolant. Might consider a "T", and insulate the line from block to "T".

Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Pro Wrench

Can you post a picture of the temp probe. ? Maybe I can help you find somewhere.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:37 AM
Pro Wrench

Gonna bring this one back from its coma. Any updates?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Will be watching with interest. BTW dig 07, spent my Saturday pulling (donor 420) and replacing (300TE) condenser fan set. Turned out they are same part number and mounts, etc. But a long day. Found at least half a gallon of dead bugs inside front fan cowl. And interesting fan relays with their own on-board fuse.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Pro Wrench

Ahhh, fun times. I actually spent a good for 2 hour searching for a ac leak on a 2010 c class on Wednesday. Turned out to be the seals where the high high and low lines meet at a junction. ( dont ask why the germans made it that way).

I have a pretty radical idea in the Mercedes world. Take a 1985 SL, rip out the engine, trans and rear end. In its place, drop in an E55 motor out of an 06 E Klasse and a corvette rear end. Basically convery it to an SLS without the doors. Redo the interior, lowered suspension and the finishing touch would be remove the convertible top completely. Make it a true roadster. Some european bumpers should finish it off nicely.

Quick Reply: Electric Cooling Fans (Possible Mod) Question