Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric drain?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 03:16 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Electric drain?

ORIGINAL: AK Rover

Time to spend a little more time getting to know your truck Spike.
I know, I know. Here I am telling lies and I know nothing!

Here is how my ignition ring looks, and the alarm LED will take a year to run your battery dead.
My truck sat for 3 months while I was out of work last fall and it started right up first turn of the key when I needed it.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the problem, though don't know if it is the only one.

Tracing the clicking sound eventually led me to the compartment underneath the front passenger seat.

Inside there is a black plastic box the size of a brick or two bearing the LandRover logo. It is not even fastened; I can drag it and if it were not for the hooked up wires take it out. Since the box is smooth and has no obvious mountings it may not be mountable.

The left half of the box is a sliding door. Inside we see:

"Pioneer Compact Disc Magazine". And a red flashing light just like the ignition key ring! But I press the eject button and it does not pop out.

Now, who else has this type of set up? How do I know what the official version looks like? Why would it be using electricity when the car is off? I recall the manual stating that radios and the such can only be operated when the key is in position 1 or 2?

Anyways, this box is connected to a thick wire (like computer power cables, containing multiple wires inside), and a thin singular wire leading to a white plastic socket plug. Removing the plug of the thin wire stopped the flashing and clicking.

I cannot remove the thick wire. Its connection to the box seems very similar to a computer cable hooked up to the computer power supply. I would think I can take it off.

I don't know for sure if the thick cable is still draining electricity, in addition to other possible unknown leakages. Thus I need some type of voltage testing equipment to stick onto the battery. Can anyone recommend one and tell me the proper literal terms?

Old 01-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

How about your CD changer? Some times when they go bad they will cycle through the disc's trying to load them and run the battery down.
Ok, just like I said before the CD changer goes bad and it will try and read the disc's even when there are none.
Remove the magazine, unplug it, what ever you need to do without cutting any wires.
Take it to Best Buy's car audio department, have them disconnect it for you.
The CD changer has power all the time so that you can load disc's with the key off.