Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Electric Window

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Electric Window

The Passenger electric window on my Series 1 Discovery has decided to break - it's turning out to be a bad month for the Discovery. They say it comes in three's so I should be ok after I've sorted this!

The window gave no warning of any problems but yesterday when I tried to get the window to go up there was quite a loud CRRRRRRRUNNCH sound as it reached the top. The window itself isn't damaged, but now when I operate the electric window switches you can hear the motor spin but nothing else happens - I assume whatever mechanism connects between the window winder motor and the window winding mechanism itself has broken away or snapped.

My first thought was "oh well, better the window be stuck up than stuck down. It's a summer job", but unfortunately I'm not going to be able to leave the problem as it is until the summer because the window does fall down as I'm travelling and it can be easily lifted up or down with my hands.

As soon as the rain here stops I'm going to take the door panel off and have a look around, but I suspect I'm going to end up needing a couple of parts to put the problem right anyway so I'll have to see if I can peg the window in the up position somehow until I can get the parts I need.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their Disco? What parts did you end up needing for the mechanism?

Brian

Old 01-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Drifting
Default RE: Passenger Electric Window

Actually thinking about it I wonder if one of the limit switches might be broken and perhaps that's why the mechanism broke in the first place. I'll have to check it or I might find my replacement parts end up breaking as well.

Brian

Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Drifting

Ok I've taken the door panel off and it's become clear what's broken, although it's not so clear how to resolve it - infact it looks like it's going to be a right bitch of a job. I'm not sure if I might have to get a whole new window winder mechanism complete, and quite how you squeeze a big mechanism like that into holes so small inside the door I'm not sure.

Here's a pic of the snapped or dislodged piece:

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Thermal Runaway\Desktop\WindowMech.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-03-2005, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Hmmm, not sure how the image upload is supposed to work on here. I think that's broken because I've put in a path which is local to my machine.

Oh well I've uploaded it to my webspace - http://www.thermalrunaway.co.uk/Images/WindowMech.jpg

Thanks

Brian

Old 01-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Drifting

Ok it turns out that a replacement mechanism is required and it's a very fiddly job. My only real saving grace is that the mechanism is secured with nuts and bolts on the LandRovers. When I had to do a similar job on my Vauxhall Astra the whole thing was rivetted which made for extra work.

The job is a real pain in the backside and I don't have the parts I need to solve it now so I've decided to put the job off until we start getting some finer weather and I've got a couple of spare days to give it my attension.

In the meantime I've temporarily "fixed" the window so that it is constantly jammed in the wound up position so at least now the window stays where it is and there's no risk of break ins or cold/wet journeys.

See http://www.thermalrunaway.co.uk/Imag...ieceOfWood.jpg

As you can see I've cut a piece of wood and jammed the mechanism where it is so that the window cannot retract.

Brian

Old 01-09-2005, 09:00 AM
Rock Crawling

now that is the sort of engineering we owners of older landies tend to do, glad the disco can be adapted in the same way..

Old 07-09-2005, 02:39 PM
4wd Low

I have the same problem, until i have time to fix it i have it help up with two suction cups on the inside of the window. Works fine and is adjustable.

Old 07-09-2005, 11:14 PM
Rock Crawling

probably just on part. the window regulator assembly. What has most likely happened is the track guide(a plastic wheel) broke. The part can be ordered I paid about 100 for mine. It is a pain to replace, but not difficult. There is a step by step procedure on this in the forum. do the scearch and you will find it. as for the present. duct tape the window closed. less chance of damage to the window. If you choose a cold one and a couple of hours and the project can be done at home with general tools, with one exception and that is the snaps that hold the panel in place. it can be found in most parts stores. If i can help let me know. hope it helps. duboff.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:37 AM
Drifting

I had a plastic guide bad on drivers side. Mine was on the aft side and would make a loud POP when lowered from the up position.

I used an aluminum bushing (fit exactly in the guide channel with correct offset). Used a hex cap screw, self locking nut and used a cuttoff wheel to flush the remaining threads after installation to keep from interfereing (sp?) inside the door. It is fixed......and proly better than original.