Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical clicky-click under dash - very weird

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 04:12 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clickerty click under dash

Hi. I had the same problem some time ago, it drove me mad for ages, sounds like a relay clicking. I read somewhere the cause is the tiny air vent in the dashboard is clogged with dust inside. I managed to access the internals behind the vent grille and it was clogged with dust. I cleaned it out replaced it and have never heard a clicking noise since. Hopes this helps.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:19 PM
3rd Gear
Default Clickerty click under dash

Hi. I had the same problem some time ago, it drove me mad for ages, sounds like a relay clicking. I read somewhere the cause is the tiny air vent in the dashboard is clogged with dust inside. I managed to access the internals behind the vent grille and it was clogged with dust. I cleaned it out replaced it and have never heard a clicking noise since. Hopes this helps.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:22 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 1,252 Likes on 672 Posts

Long shot here: On 99-02 if the Daytime running lights resistor (behind left headlight) is missing, and the truck is coded with Nanocom etc for "enable DRL" you will get a fast repeated clicking from the interior fusebox that sounds like your exact description. I did it myself once when I coded DRL on without the proper resistor in place and plugged in. That said, 03/04 don't need this resistor to enable DRL so I wouldn't think this is actually applicable to your problem.

Do you have DRL enabled on your 03 by any chance?

Old 12-31-2020, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did the same thing again this morning. Just purchased a used fuse box from ky_scrap1 on eBay--should get it late next week though it may be a while before I'll have time to install it. Will post the results when I get to it!

Old 01-03-2021, 07:55 AM
3rd Gear

Mines a 2000 GL V8 UK spec, no daytime running lights fitted, the small vent in the dash was clogged with dust when i got inside it to the internals, I seem to remember it controls something on the air con system. It could well be activating a relay hence the clicking. It was a few years ago when I had the problem, I have never heard any clicking since I cleaned the dust out of it. I seem to remember you have to access it from above the fusebox and its a pig to get at. Hope this help

Old 01-12-2021, 01:35 PM
Three Wheeling

Got my "new" fuse box and after about an hour of frustrating twisting, turning, prying and blood-letting, managed to unplug the old one and plug in the replacement. I'm pretty sure I got all the harnesses plugged into the correct sockets on the back side and properly seated. When I was done, I had success as far as the relay clicking noise and shift lever lock was concerned. But now there's a new issue, similar to stxscott's post-fuse-box-replacement issue, except worse.

stxscott: No more problems with a flashing light on the shifter, no extra clicking when indicating. Even the lock/unlock functions are working perfectly now - well except for a non-functioning actuator on the pax side rear door, but that's a new issue to investigate.

Prior to replacing the fuse box, all my door locks at least tried to operate normally. Now only the driver's door locks/unlocks electrically. The other three passenger doors and the rear door don't even "click," let alone actually lock/unlock. Did I miss something when replacing the harnesses? Or is there another relay on that fuse box that involves the door locks? And why would it affect four of the five locks but not the driver's door? Hopefully it's not a relay built into the fuse box. I'm not looking forward to having to do that replacement again...

Old 01-13-2021, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought my non-functioning right side rear door lock actuator failure was just co-incidental. I chalk that up to the perils of owning my LRD2
Very weird that you've lost 3 at once.

I haven't replaced mine yet as I rarely use that door so it hasn't become a nagging issue for me.

Still love my 03 LRD2 after 6 and a half years of interesting maintenance challenges and blood lost. I was driving the other day and came up benind another one (there are are handful on-island - still running). I couldn't help thinking how awesome it looked. The visibility and driving position are great. I'm not sure I'd find all of that in any other modern and reasonably priced replacement. Be good to get better than 11.3mpg, and exterior plastics that don't crack and fall off, along with the fading/flaking paint, and yet I'm doubting LRD2 will ever leave the fleet.

Last edited by stxscott; 01-13-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-25-2021, 04:40 PM
Three Wheeling

So I left the D2 sitting for a week and a half while away on a trip and yesterday I figured I'd see if anything was different. When I first hit the unlock button on the fob, all doors unlocked. Thought things were looking up until I tried locking them--still only the driver's door locked, although I heard and saw the other three try to move. I pulled and reset the 25 amp fuse in the "new" passenger fuse box and then tried again--same thing using both the fobs and the dashboard switch. Same results; all doors lock and all door lock actuators sound like they're trying to lock but only the driver's door actually locks. I didn't start the car or drive it around to see if that changed anything...perhaps it's a weak battery? Is there a "safety" relay/switch somewhere that "locks out" (bad pun) the non-driver's door locks? If so I would think it would not unlock the doors rather than not lock them. Or could all three lock actuators fail the same way (only lock) at the same time? I'm really scratching my head on this one!