Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Troubleshoot

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Troubleshoot

Hey,

I drove my 2002 Disco through some water wasn’t necessarily deep but it was splashing underneath my vehicle a good bit. I think (not sure this is where I need help) my gear position switch and my selector lever assembly aren’t communicating properly. Any time I put the car into drive the red light on the selector lever isn’t turning on, nor is it fully engaging the drive gears nor is the D on the instrument panel showing up. I then go neutral the N shows up, the red light on the selector lever is on, same thing when I go reverse the R shows up, the red light is on, but then I get a steady HDC (hill descent control) light along with a flashing green M and S lights indicating manual and sport mode selected, even though I never changed the mode.

Anybody ever had this issue, or know where I can start troubleshooting? IE how do I get to the pins on the contact to measure the 12V output signals sent from the Cable of the Selector lever to the gear position switch? and or and I use the ECU to measure the input from the Gear position switch to see what’s going on?

Could it be some sort of issue I’m overlooking?

I looked underneath and it all looks dry, but I have a feeling water may be shorting something. I don’t have easy access to the gear position switch so if anybody knows a way any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Old 04-25-2023, 11:03 AM
Received 1,135 Likes on 784 Posts

@Hughjasknuts Could be the XYZ switch underneath, it communicates with the transmission computer. M & S on at the same time can also indicate an XYZ issue. But the HDC is odd, sounds like you got a lot of water somewhere.

1 thing on water crossings, fast looks cool but always creates problems. Slower is far better.

Old 04-25-2023, 07:35 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,431 Likes on 1,019 Posts

I would start with the XYZ switch, the HDC also indicates you may have some transfer case switch issues.