Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical/ Windows a/c Wipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 01:28 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 147 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Electrical/ Windows a/c Wipers

I started my truck after about 15 minutes of it being off and the windows would not roll down, wipers would not work and a/c would not turn on. Radio and interior/exterior lights were fine. I arrived at my destination and shut the truck down and restarted and everything worked properly. when it came time to leave however the same thing happened, no windows, wipers or a/c. Shut it down and restarted and everything worked again. Where do I start on this one?

Old 05-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think it is in the ignition switch, it is not going to the full "II" position after you start it.
Next time it happens wiggle the key in the ignition and see if things start to work.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

yes I will agree with the ignition switch from Spike, there are 2 Accessory wires coming from your switch (a white one and a light green/white one, not sure which one powers what) usually in this case one of those is not getting powered. In some cases this switch can be removed and cleaned, in other situations it needs to be replaced.

I can tell you how to fix it short term for very little money if today's economy has you suffering.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

That would be great Chris!

Old 05-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Recovery Vehicle

You should be able to find those two ACC. wires I listed before at or near the under dash fuse box (they will be pretty thick wires). what you will need to get is a relay (I would use a 12volt, 30/40amp, SPDT relay, brand doesn't matter), some heavy gauge wire (I would suggest about the same as the 2 ACC. wires but no smaller than 14 gauge will work), some light gauge wire (this can pretty much be any size I would suggest 18 or so), female spade connectors that will support both sizes of wires you are using and will attach to the fuses (I suggest fully insulated), electrical tape (I use 3m super 33+ it works the best), a 30 amp blade fuse (the same as the ones there in the fuse box), and some wire strippers. If you find a relay with a socket and wires attached you can use this instead of the extra wire and spade connections.

your connections from the relay will be as follows:

connection 1: pin 30 from the relay to the heavy gauge brown wire (this brown wire will be in the ignition harness). make this connection with a piece of heavy gauge wire and place the 30 amp fuse inline as close to the brown wire as possible. (be careful with this brown wire it has power at all times so don't short it out)

connection 2: pin 85 from the relay to a good ground with the light gauge wire (either down in the kick panel or tap a new one somewhere close, this wire does not need a fuse).

the next 2 connections may need to be switched (do not switch them at the relay), depending which of the 2 ACC wires is not being powered. I will explained this better below

connection 3: pin 86 on the relay (light gauge wire) to the heavy gauge light green/white wire again this wire should be at or near the fuse box (if this light gauge wire you are adding is longer than about 6 inches or runs near any rough metal, I would suggest a 10 amp fuse as close to the lt.green/white wire as you can get it).

connection 4: pin 87 on the relay will then go to the heavy gauge white wire (at or near the fuse box)make this connection with your heavy gauge wire (you don't need a fuse here)

pin 87A on the relay is not needed, make all of the connections to the relay and fuses with the female spade connectors and all connections to wires (just twist the wires together really well) with tape . after you are done wrap some tape around the wires attached to the relay and fuses to prevent them from coming loose and to make sure there is no bare metal exposed.

If you still have a problem after all of this is done, first check your new fuses, and if they are good swap the new wire connections to the light green/white wire and the white wire.

let me know if you need any more help.

Last edited by Rover Chris; 05-04-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Chris to the rescue once again!!! You should right technical manuals. If I get stuck I will let you know.

Thanks again.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris are you an electrician - most nonelectrical folks don't know 33!?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle

yes I am a 12 volt tech, and no most "non electrical folks" don't know what pin 33 is. Most relays however do label the pins on the bottom of the relay, and all relays pins are configured in a manner that it can be explained easily which pin is which. I do my best to explain this stuff so my 12 year old daughter can do it, and I have had her go to work with me and install an alarm once (supervised of course) so wiring a relay can't be too difficult! trouble is understanding how a relay works, I have worked with many techs that couldn't explain that!!! (kind of scary actually)