Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrically stumped...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy Electrically stumped... **crisis diverted**

So, I ordered some 39mm festoon LED's from EBay to replace my interior dome lights. It's been done on this forum before, so that's why I felt OK with it. So, got them in the mail yesterday, put them in last night.

I tried the front light first, take out the original and put the LED in... Doesn't work. So, I tried another light, it didn't work either. I go to put the original back in and when the bulb touched the contacts, it lit up. OK, so it works... tried a LED bulb again and nothing. "So, maybe I got the wrong bulbs", I think to myself. I figure I'll forget it that night and look at it today... put the original bulb back in and, NOTHING. Check the middle dome light and nothing there either. WTF?! Frustrated, I decide to quit for the night. I get in the truck this morning to come to work... key fob won't work, radio doesn't work, clock doesn't work, and a/c unit is reset to Celsius. Double WTF?!

So, at lunch, I check the fuses and they are all good. Below is a list of the fuses I checked:

Fuse 11 - 10 amp - LH side & tail lights, number plate light, interior illumination
Fuse 15 - 20 amp - Cigar lighter, interior lights, seat heaters, vanity mirror illumination
Fuse 16 - 15 amp - Clock, radio
Fuse 32 - 25 amp - Accessory socket
Fuse 33 - 10 amp - RH side & tail lights, radio, trailer socket, interior illumination

All of these fuses are good. Am I missing one somewhere? These are located under the dash, driver's side. I don't know where to go from here or if I need to replace these fuses anyway.

Cigar lighter still works and will charge my phone, so I'm guessing that rules out fuse 15.

Just noticed that I may have missed one:

Fuse 20 - 15 amp - Interior lights, clock/radio memory, engine remobilisation

Would this one be a possibility? Or did I just fry something when I was switching out the bulbs?

**EDIT** The fuse I missed was the culprit. It was fried. Replaced it and all my gadgets starting working. WHEW!

Last edited by mattmo78; 05-07-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The led lights will only work a certain way in dome lights. Try it again and if it doesn't work flip them around. I had the same problem. I was so mad I thought they didn't work as well then Iflipped them around and bam my neighbors could see them from down the street lol. So you didn't fry anything you just flip the ends around to the opposite side and they should work. Oh and I also got them for my Nissan versa and they did the same thing. So its just the leds being in the wrong way.

As far as all the other stuff going on I have no idea. Those bulbs shouldn't have done the to your radio, ac , etc...

Last edited by jhill15; 05-07-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks jhill... I'll try that. I just went back out to the car and checked the one fuse I missed. It was the culprit. Pulled it out, put a new one in, and everything came back on. Tried the LED once and it didn't work, so put the original bulb back in for now. I'll try it again this evening and try flipping the direction it goes in to see if that will work.

It may be the bulbs, too. Of course, they are from China and came in a pack of 10 for like $4.15 or something like that. Maybe I need to find some good ones and just go with the theory that "you get what you pay for".

Old 05-07-2013, 02:04 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

LEDs are DC and they only take + voltage on one pin and - on the other.

Some fancy ones have inverters that allow any pin..

Old 05-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling

Any follow up on those led dome lights?

Old 05-08-2013, 10:32 AM
Rock Crawling

Jhill... yes. After I got the fuse replaced, I figured I'd give them another try, risking blowing the fuse again (still not sure how I did that). I tried a bulb, no go, flipped it around and it worked. So I replaced all 3 dome lights and they are working great as of this morning when I came to work.

Now, I know I only paid about 40 cents per bulb, but I was hoping they would be a little brighter than they are. Maybe I need to get used to the difference. It does light up the truck, don't get me wrong... it's just a different light. I like the way it looks, though. Definitely happy with it.

The bulbs I got have 6 LED's in them. Maybe I could've went with one of the bigger bulbs that has 9 or 10 LED's in it?

Old 05-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mattmo78
Now, I know I only paid about 40 cents per bulb, but I was hoping they would be a little brighter than they are. Maybe I need to get used to the difference. It does light up the truck, don't get me wrong... it's just a different light. I like the way it looks, though. Definitely happy with it.

The bulbs I got have 6 LED's in them. Maybe I could've went with one of the bigger bulbs that has 9 or 10 LED's in it?
I just ordered the 6 LED versions today... I may re-order the 16 LED versions if these are not bright enough. Like you say, $4.99 was not much to spend to find out. I've also got a 2001 Prius that has dome and Visor bulbs out, so it may end up with these.

EDIT: Just looked again, and I've ordered the 8 LED versions. I'll report back when I've tried them and let you know how they've worked out.

Last edited by SuperSport; 05-08-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Thanks SuperSport. I'll await your results.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:51 PM
Rock Crawling

Awesome sauce I'm glad they work.
I think the ones I have are 16 or 12 I can't remember but they so bright at night that I can't look up at them lol

Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jhill15
Awesome sauce I'm glad they work.
I think the ones I have are 16 or 12 I can't remember but they so bright at night that I can't look up at them lol
So, hopefully, I'll be hitting the sweet spot with 8.

Quick Reply: Electrically stumped...