Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine help

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 09:45 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmm. Mileage is fine. Not too many things could junk up plugs like that except inefficient burning (whether too much gas dumped in or other things like bad spark), or oil being burned. If not adding much oil and normal economy, just doesn't sound like it. Did you notice if your crankcase vents were a mess?

Old 04-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Hmmm. Mileage is fine. Not too many things could junk up plugs like that except inefficient burning (whether too much gas dumped in or other things like bad spark), or oil being burned. If not adding much oil and normal economy, just doesn't sound like it. Did you notice if your crankcase vents were a mess?
Exhaust vents in the lower manifold have a little bit of carbon , feels like crumbs but very small, they are all like that. Its dry crumbs. I just wonder when the old plug fouled I drove it home about 6 miles If it messed up the rest of them burning to rich or something like that. IT was really running rough.
Maybe engine shop will have an answer. But keep throwing things out there that you know of that I can check
Thanks again
Tom

Old 04-25-2013, 08:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Got the heads back today Machine shop guy said he had to remove 4 thou off. The valve seals we hard and not very good. Maybe causing the fouling cylinder. Now I start to put it back together. Do I need to put some gasket goop on valley gasket or upper intake or on Bolts ?? Don't think reassembly will be all that hard just need to know all the little trick to make sure I don't have to redo anything.
Thanks for all the help,

Tom

Old 04-25-2013, 09:25 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slabrat
Got the heads back today Machine shop guy said he had to remove 4 thou off. The valve seals we hard and not very good. Maybe causing the fouling cylinder. Now I start to put it back together. Do I need to put some gasket goop on valley gasket or upper intake or on Bolts ?? Don't think reassembly will be all that hard just need to know all the little trick to make sure I don't have to redo anything.
Thanks for all the help,

Tom
Nothing on head bolts except light coat of clean motor oil. You'll want to put some black RTV where the front and rear of the block meet the heads before you install your lower intake manifold. If you look in the RAVE manual, it also says to do this. And install the lower intake manifold BEFORE installing the valve covers - it is a lot easier this way (trust me, I have the cuts to prove why the other way sucks).

Old 04-25-2013, 09:38 AM
Rock Crawling

I will have the Rave and pics on hand for the re-assembly. I even printed out the torque settings so I can refer to them without having to mess with the computer.
Thanks