Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Light and Blinking Trans Lights

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Light and Blinking Trans Lights

Hey all, driving to dinner last night and the truck started to miss fire (i think), it would rev fine but at lights it would be running smooth and then all of a sudden it would shudder, then back to smooth. Got to dinner and as I was pulling in the Check engine light came on. OK so not a big deal, dinner is done, get in and drive to the movies, light is still on but the car is smoother none of that shudder at stops. Check engine light is still on, leave movies and drive home. while driving home am at a red light and the car starts beeping at me, no new lights, just 3 chimes....hmm weird, then i am about a mile from home and my sport and manual light start blinking and the truck is not shifting gears. sounds like its stuck in second or third gear.

Read the manual and says something about an electrical fault?? Let her sit for a few and restarted, checkengine light still on but the blinking lights are gone...any ideas on what could have caused this??

Sorry for the lengthy post...as always any help appreciated.

Old 05-09-2010, 08:01 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Your lights came on and your transmission went into limp mode (3rd gear only) because you have low battery voltage.
Either your battery is going bad or your alternator.

As for the shutter, could be the need for a tune up, when was the last time it was done?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Spike555
Your lights came on and your transmission went into limp mode (3rd gear only) because you have low battery voltage.
Either your battery is going bad or your alternator.

As for the shutter, could be the need for a tune up, when was the last time it was done?
Thanks Spike, appreciate the info, will check the voltage and see whats going on, battery was not new when I got it. Not sure about a tune up as I just bought it a couple of months ago, its on my list of things to do (which seems to be getting longer by the day!!)

Old 05-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Mudding

Spike, pulled the code off the car it was P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire. Cleared it and ran the truck for about 10 min today, nothing showed up and was smooth. I am assuming that i need to replace the plugs and wires to start. Only other thing i could think was either an issue with the coil or maybe an injector?

As for the low voltage, it didn't happen today. Going to get a new Battery tomorrow and see if that fixes it. I'm no mechanic but would've thought that an alternator would've caused the battery warning light to come on? Is that an incorrect assumption?

Old 05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Team Owner

A tune up is always a good idea and should be done every 60k.

Alternators can go bad without setting off the battery light, they are supposed to put out 14v, but if it is only putting out 12v the battery light wont come on but it also will not charge the battery.
Lets say the alt is putting out 12v, but the load on the battery is 13v, eventually the battery will go dead.

Before you buy a new battery go to a autoparts store and have them tested for free.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:37 PM
Mudding

Alternators can go bad without setting off the battery light, they are supposed to put out 14v, but if it is only putting out 12v the battery light wont come on but it also will not charge the battery.
Lets say the alt is putting out 12v, but the load on the battery is 13v, eventually the battery will go dead.

Before you buy a new battery go to a autoparts store and have them tested for free.
Thanks Spike, will do that tomorrow before buying anything. appreciate the insight, will let you know.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:23 PM
Mudding

Had it tested today and the the battery is bad, everything else checked out. Replacing that tomorrow.

Also, going to get new plugs, wires and replace the VC gaskets. Anything else in there i should do while the Intake is off? Thanks again for the help.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:21 PM
Team Owner

Replace the throttle body heater gasket.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by RegT
Hey all, driving to dinner last night and the truck started to miss fire (i think), it would rev fine but at lights it would be running smooth and then all of a sudden it would shudder, then back to smooth. Got to dinner and as I was pulling in the Check engine light came on. OK so not a big deal, dinner is done, get in and drive to the movies, light is still on but the car is smoother none of that shudder at stops. Check engine light is still on, leave movies and drive home. while driving home am at a red light and the car starts beeping at me, no new lights, just 3 chimes....hmm weird, then i am about a mile from home and my sport and manual light start blinking and the truck is not shifting gears. sounds like its stuck in second or third gear.

Read the manual and says something about an electrical fault?? Let her sit for a few and restarted, checkengine light still on but the blinking lights are gone...any ideas on what could have caused this??

Sorry for the lengthy post...as always any help appreciated.
Go to your local parts store, ask them to rad the 4 digit fault code numbers and check you battery/alternator. Voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts. Get us the 4 digit fault code numbers and voltage then let see where to go.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Go to your local parts store, ask them to rad the 4 digit fault code numbers and check you battery/alternator. Voltage should be between 13.6 and 14.4 volts. Get us the 4 digit fault code numbers and voltage then let see where to go.
Mike, had everything tested.

Appears battery is bad, alt is putting out 14v no load and 13.8v loaded.

Also engine code was P0302 - Cylinder 2 misfire.

Let me know your thoughts, she has been running good but it seems that as things get hotter here she starts to run rough again...feels like she is shuddering and I am waiting for the misfire to happen again.

Any thoughts let me know