Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Rebuild? What to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2019, 12:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephen Perez
now I’m thinking with each part I replace that I’m just extending her life, correct?
No, it doesn't work like that.

For example, you always match a new cam with new lifters and you always match a used cam with its same old/used lifters.

IF... if you install new lifters while re-using the old cam, your engine will wear out in a hurry!

So... it isn't just about putting in new parts to add life. They have to match.

Now, some incredibly experienced techs can replace the old cam with a new cam while the motor is still in your Disco, but they can't replace all of the cam bearings that way (you can get all but the last one), so in *general*, you only replace your cam if you pull your motor. Obviously exceptions.

Anyway, you've got to decide if you want to leave the motor in or pull it.

If you leave the motor in, you can still replace your rod bearings and main bearings by dropping your oil pan and installing new bearings from below your Disco.

If you pull your motor, you can inspect your flex plate and repair/replace as needed, plus you can pull both your cam as well as your crank and have both machined. This also allows you to replace all bearings.

Everything else can, if desired, be done with the motor still "in situ" in your Disco. This includes pulling your pistons so that you can blueprint and install new piston rings.

You can pin your cylinder liners.

You can port your exhaust.

With your heads off, you can replace your valve seals and have your heads machined flat (decked). You'll want to verify that your block is also flat where your heads match up to it.

Good luck!