Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine replacement questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine replacement questions...

I have an 03 Disco w/66k miles, she is a ticker...sometimes really bad, sometimes not so bad. Has good oil pressure, I daily drive it still....if I pull my boat sometimes the ticking goes away for a half a day but always comes back. The noise seems to be coming form the driver side of the motor and like I said sometimes the ticking is worse than other and sometimes nonexistent.

After reading several posts and all things considered I have reached a point where I realize I'm going to sink $1000's into the truck getting rid of the tick or loose $1000's trading it in on something else...so to aid in my decision on which way to go please help me out...

It is my understanding that in order to completely get rid of the tick I need to buy an older (I assume) 99-2002 4.0 Litre block and swap all my 4.6 parts to the 4.0 block....

my question is, why can't I buy a good used 4.0 and have someone put it in the truck? If the block is the same whats the other differences between these motors?

If you have a complete 4.6 sitting next to a complete 4.0 and the blocks are the same what else needs to be done to make the 4.0 work in place of the 4.6? intake swap? electronics swap?

Complete running 4.0's are just as easy to come by as a 4.0 block, just trying to see if there is a way to save myself a crap load of labor money in swapping my 4.6 stuff over to a 4.0...

Thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes you can bolt right in a 4.0, no problems at all.
To fully make the swap 100% smooth and painless you will also need a 4.0 ECU.
You will need a SAI 4.0 and ECU though.
You can use your ECU but it will still think you have a 4.6, it will run fine but MPG might suffer alittle.
This is a very common swap because it is cheap and easy, literally unbolt and unplug your engine, bolt and plug in the donor engine.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Spike555
What is an SAI 4.0?

Old 04-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Seondary Air Injection (pollution control devices) 4 liter. SAI pumps air into the manifold and helps burn rich exhaust gases off at certain times (like cold start up). See D2 shop manual under emissions.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:43 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Yes you can bolt right in a 4.0, no problems at all.
To fully make the swap 100% smooth and painless you will also need a 4.0 ECU.
You can use your ECU but it will still think you have a 4.6, it will run fine but MPG might suffer alittle.
This is a very common swap because it is cheap and easy, literally unbolt and unplug your engine, bolt and plug in the donor engine.
Actually, if you could find a 4.0 with SAI, you can do a plug and play and then have your current ECU reset to run the 4.0 without buying a new one.

You mentioned your oil pressure was good, how do you know, how was it tested and what are the 4 sets of oil pressure number you got.
You could just have a cracked oil pump ring or a few valve train parts in need of replacement so I wouldn't go to crazy with replacing an engine till you look closer at the cause.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Seondary Air Injection (pollution control devices) 4 liter. SAI pumps air into the manifold and helps burn rich exhaust gases off at certain times (like cold start up). See D2 shop manual under emissions.
is there a particular year range on the 4.0? or will any 99-02 with SAI work?

I really don't want to get rid of my Disco, I love it and want to lift it and do other mods to it..

Old 04-30-2012, 08:51 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Most of the 4.0's didn't start showing up with SAI until late 2000.
What are your thoughts about my last reply?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
You mentioned your oil pressure was good, how do you know, how was it tested and what are the 4 sets of oil pressure number you got.
You could just have a cracked oil pump ring or a few valve train parts in need of replacement so I wouldn't go to crazy with replacing an engine till you look closer at the cause.
I just bought the truck in March, bought it on ebay. When the delivery driver arrived to pick it up the truck was ticking from the second he started it up. He called me and I heard it ticking over the phone. I called the seller and we worked out a partial refund and I took the truck ticking..

When the truck got in my possession it wouldn't tick if it was on an incline or decline. I drove it home (3 miles) and left it till morning. I came out in the morning and started it, slight tick with oil light on...

I ordered a new oil pump and had it installed ($$$$ OUCH!!!) when the truck was ready I went to pick it up and it was quiet as can be....got a few miles down the rode to put gas in it and tick tick tick tick.....FML...

I took it back to the shop and they checked oil pressure, mechanic did say there was a lot of sludge in the oil pan that he cleaned out. I drove it home and no problems, just an embarrassing tick tick tick....

sometimes the ticking is extremely loud to the point where I think I rod is about to blow through the block any second....to other times where the truck is 100% quiet and running like a sewing machine.

When I pulled my boat for the first time the ticking quit for like a day after I pulled the boat...it has since gotten worse to where it ticks pulling the boat too....

I LOVE this Disco, Black on Black is rare from what I have been told. I got rid of my 04 Range Rover for this baby...lol I don't want to trade it in and get rid of it, but I can sink another $3k into another 4.6.....I found a low mileage 2002 4.0 for $900, according to the mechanics at the local import repair shop it calls for 9.5 hours to remove and install the motor @ $65 an hour thats $620 roughly in labor...roughly $2k give or take to put a 4.0 in it...the alternative is trade it in and get what for it as it sits?

Its looking pretty good that I will have the 4.0 put in my Disco...you guys have any suggestions on maintenance things to do to the 4.0 before it goes into the truck?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default yes...

i have a 04 DII that blew with 120k..... My LR guy got me a engine...4.6 for $1,800.00 with 70k from a insurance wreak and i gave him 1k to install. I also gave him $500.00 to rebuild the top end, check and change out oil pump gear , chain. I added all new cooling system..IE all new hoses, radiator, and water pump . All new seals and it's sealed up tight. I sleep much better...

Quick Reply: Engine replacement questions...