Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Ticking and hesitation before 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 11:52 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine Ticking and hesitation before 40mph

UPDATE

This is an update regarding the hesitation from 35 to 40mph, well I would have to lift off of the gas pedal to get it to shift to another gear ( zf automatic) I downloaded the 95-96 manual and started looking at any adjustments to the kickdown linkage and I found that mine was wayyyy out of adjustment by almost 1/2 inch of thread!! so I backed it off to the manual's recommendations and there is no more hesitation because the thing will actually shift on its own now without me having to lift off the gas pedal to compensate for the misadjusted kickdown linkage, there ya go.

I guess if you own one of these trucks you have to have some sense or humor because now my drivers side head gasket is leaking in the back, there is coolant on the garage floor after a drive now, a small puddle now but im sure it will get worse if I keep driving the thing, so thats the next major project.

After a warm up drive about 7 to 8 mins of driving anyway..I will still get the jerking and bucking the thing will go up 500rpm and drop about the same, jerking the whole way home, I have replaced the vss with a known good one and it didnt do anything. I also have a known good tps sensor I have not tried yet. Its odd that the bucking only occurs while engine at normal operating temps so I dont know if its the tps but oh well you never know what heat does to all of the sensors in question.

I have gotten alot of help on this forum you guys and I really appreciate it. So far I have fixed my rear windows regulators for $1.62 with just a few nylon washers and took out the window lift ecm behind the glove box and fixed a cold solder joint, I would have NEVER tracked that one down without this forum.Now I have a multi function unit on the way because of problems with some of the systems that go through it, I cant even perform the test procedure like in the manual.