General Range Rover Discussion - Archived Archived threads for all Range Rover discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Range rover shaking after 40mph

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 03:07 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range rover shaking after 40mph

My 97 Range Rover has been shaking for awhile. I replaced the track bar and the front end. And all the ends. Could the alignment be a problem? Ik it's off, really bad or I think it could also be the gear box because apparently the guy before me played with it to fix the steering. And it flashes gearbox over heat off and on. Any ideas?

Old 03-08-2014, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bassmaster
My 97 Range Rover has been shaking for awhile. I replaced the track bar and the front end. And all the ends. Could the alignment be a problem? Ik it's off, really bad or I think it could also be the gear box because apparently the guy before me played with it to fix the steering. And it flashes gearbox over heat off and on. Any ideas?
how are the shocks?

Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shake or death wobble as some like to call it is caused by:-
Lack of pre-tension on the steering swivel ball joints in your case or in older Landrovers like the D1/Classic due to wear in the swivel pins and bearings.

Tyre wear including unseen chord fracture which causes deformation within the tyre carcass and at some dynamic point the tyre defects at speed often after hitting a bump to upset the front end.

The wheels should be checked for "seat concentricity" on the hub flanges, corrosion especially with alloys can cause run out and road fluids like de icer (mag chloride) can leech into the bead and well causing the tyre to creep on the corroded inner rim bead; not just in a rotational fashion but also dropping into the rim on a bump. Seen on some P38's I have seen it on big truck (class 8 OTR ) alloys as well.

The panhard rod and bushes must be in good condition and the rod itself not bent same applies to the leading arms and bushes.

So ask yourself, did I change out the steering swivel joints which requires a hand press to extract and re-install. These four joints provide the necessary pre-load in the steering system iron out dynamic forces.

Have the truck checked for alignment; excessive toe in will cause steering lateral vibrations /movement.

A wheel balance might also be in order and on the balance machine, run out will show up.

Lastly I mention the steering damper!!
A well set up Landrover doesn't need that damper but to iron out slight tremour the manufactures of most 4WD's install one for driver comfort.

The most immediate reaction to your fault is to fit a bigger more study damper to mask the problem which it often dos but it doesn't cure the real cause of the problem.
Hope that is of help to you.
T/V

Old 03-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bassmaster
Bassmaster: how badly does the vehicle shake? Does it only do this at or above 40mph? Does the shaking lessen with more increase in speed and eventually cease at some speed? I have a 93 RRC and at 68mph, it begins to present a shimmy that is not very pronounced........and at 78 or 80, it goes away entirely. The first two things I will have checked when I decide to address the issue is: Front End Alignment and Tire Balance. If both of those things check out good, then I will have to delve deeper and would guess that either steering componenents or gearbox are the cause. I think that drive shafts can also be the source of shaking - if excessively worn or U-joints are excessively worn and failing.

How long has your tranny been overheating? That sounds ominous.......I would definitely try to determine what is going on there - and, it may very well be the source of the shaking.

SMD

Old 03-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Drifting

I don't really think the gear box is over heating because the sensor trips on and off. Like it always comes on once I turn on my head lights or touch the brake peddle. And once I get to about 50 it stops all together. My car used to have a bad "limp" caused by a lump in the tire but that has been fixed. Ik my cars alignment is seriously messed up. But I've taken it to get aligned and they said they can't do anything because it shoots right back.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

well now; how long was the tire with the slipped belt on the car and where on the car was it?

also you have p-38 so there are no swivelballs

Last edited by drowssap; 03-11-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:28 AM
Drifting

It was on the front then I rotated it to the back. And it was on for awhile